DefendDefenders (East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project) is a regional non-governmental organisation (NGO) based in Kampala, Uganda, that seeks to strengthen the work of human rights defenders throughout the sub-region by reducing their vulnerability to the risk of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. DefendDefenders works in Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia/Somaliland, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. More information is available on our website, and social media outlets (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram).
DefendDefenders is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented staff member to support and promote the work of the organisation as a Finance Officer. The successful candidate must be able to work independently and effectively, and be a team player that can provide guidance.
The Finance Officer among other things:
• Ensures the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating, and entering transactions in the accounting software.
• Makes sure that all financial transactions are carried out and recorded in accordance with standard financial procedures.
• Prepares financial information, ensuring appropriate documentation and approvals are obtained.
• Consolidates financial data from different donors into one institution report for audit.
• Prepares monthly management financial reports and donor reports as and when they are due.
• Prepares cash flow and forecast statements.
• Maintains and reconciles subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, posting and resolving discrepancies.
• Maintains general ledger by transferring subsidiary accounts; preparing a trial balance, balance sheet, income statement, and other statements.
• Prepares journal entries and reconcile debtors and creditor accounts.
• Participates in internal and external audits.
• Ensures monthly cash and bank reconciliation are done by 15th of the following montSupports with staff payroll and ensures statutory deductions are emitted to the relevant authorities by 15th of the following month.
• Participates in the preparation of budget estimates to donors.
• Regularly reviews the petty cash float and ensure that the organisation has sufficient resources to facilitate operations
• Carries out a cash count every two weeks and monitor cash balances and request top-ups from the Finance Manager.
• Checks the month end cashbooks, and ensure that all book-keeping and coding is accurate.
• Ensures that all financial documents are securely kept for each donor and files well labelled.
• Prepares an analysis of the cashbooks, management report, comparison with budget, and commentary at the end of the month.
Applicants must be willing to relocate to Kampala, Uganda, and must possess:
• Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or relevant field.
• Proven work experience as a Finance Officer or similar role
• In-depth knowledge of financial regulations and accounting processes.
• Experience using financial software
• Strong attention to detail.
• Outstanding analytical and time management skills.
• Ability to work independently and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
• Professional qualification as a CFA/CPA is considered a plus.
TERMS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
• Full-time position based in Kampala, Uganda;
• 12 months contract period, renewable based on performance and availability of funds;
• Health insurance (in Uganda) and travel insurance are provided; and
• The selected applicant must be based in Uganda or able to relocate to Kampala immediately, or within a short timeframe.
How to apply
- SABC recruitment : Latest Jobs & Online Application
- Driving Vacancies & recruitment ( March 2024) : Open Jobs/ Application
- DHL recruitment : Open Jobs/Vacancies
- Eskom Recruitment : Open Jobs/Vacancies
- NEPAD Recruitment : 17 Open Jobs/Online application
- Old Mutual Recruitment : Open Jobs/Online application
- NGO Vacancies & recruitment : Open Jobs/ Application
Apply with the following documents in a single submission:
• Letter of motivation;
• CV including two references;
E-mail your application to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 16 November 2021.
Please do not attach copies of qualifications/diploma at this stage. Only complete applications will be reviewed. All materials should be submitted via email. We regret that owing to the volume in applications only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
EMPLOYMENT WITH DEFENDDEFENDERS
Equal employment opportunities and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at DefendDefenders where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established under international human rights principles.