Summary: The Senior Finance Officer will efficiently and effectively coordinate the financial functions of CVT Uganda to meet CVT’s overall goals and mission. The position will report to the CVT Uganda Country Director/Field Coordinator and functionally to the CVT HQ Grants Accountant. This position will be based in CVT Gulu’s office.
35% Systems, Compliance and Procedures
- Ensure the existence of proper financial systems that facilitate the recording and production of accurate financial reports, meet CVT’s internal control requirements and safeguard its assets.
- Ensure that financial procedures are followed by all programs, and systems developed to accommodate the needs of those programs
- Continually review and manage implementation of financial management strategies, policies and procedures.
- Continually seek ways to improve the financial procedures/policies of CVT Uganda.
- Stay abreast of changes to the country’s legal system as they affect payroll and taxes.
- Ensure taxes are filed appropriately with URA and other tax services
- Continuously review and communicate cost control systems and procedures, including expenditure and authorization protocols and monitor operations to ensure compliance
- Ensure compliance with taxation and statutory requirements including preparing and managing VAT, PAYE and other statutory requirements.
- Document practices including updating finance and procurement manuals in consultation with the Country Director/Field Coordinator and HQ.
30% Budgeting and Reporting
- Coordinate the timely, accurate and complete annual budget and revisions
- Monitor expenditures against budgets and highlight/address expense over run
- Prepare monthly financial reports according to internal and donors’ standards and policies
- Perform timely and accurately posting of budgets and journal entries
- Oversee cost allocation systems in accordance with donors’ regulations
- Verify system’s reconciliation and verifying system’s balances
- Verify monthly bank reconciliations by the 10th of each month
- Meet with the Country Director/Field Coordinator on a monthly basis to review overall performance and implementation levels and discuss short term strategies
- Report monthly on the financial status of programs to the Country Director
- Review monthly wire requests prior to being sent to HQ
20% Cash Management
- Consolidate monthly cash requirements for all locations and ensure timely information of the Country Director/Field Coordinator.
- Ensure smooth cash flow between HQ, country office and the field offices.
- Review all petty cash for field operations.
- Prepare monthly field cash forecast along with the Management Team.
- Ensure journal entries related to petty cash are posted in a timely manner.
- Lead the preparation of internal and external audits and financial reviews
- Review and address questions and concerns from auditors in consultation with the Country Director/Field Coordinator.
- Work with designated staff to ensure documents supporting monthly expenditures are e-mailed to HQ in a timely manner for HQ’s internal audit.
10% Other Duties:
- Ensure good internal and external communication with all stake holders including CVT HQ Grants Accountant, auditors, partners, funders, etc.
- Participate in other program and organization-wide activities, meetings and trainings.
- Complete administrative responsibilities. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
- 4-year degree in accounting or finance
- 5 years’ work experience in accounting or finance with international non-governmental organizations (US and EU funders)
- 2 years’ work experience with audits
- Certified or licensed with a recognized professional Ugandan accounting or finance group
- 1 – 2 years of management experience
Preferred education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
- Masters or graduate-level degree in accounting or finance
- 7 years’ work experience in accounting or finance with international non-governmental organizations
- 4 years of management experience
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office (Excel)
- AccountEdge or similar accounting software
- Strong English communication skills
- Team player
- Fast learner
Supervisory Responsibilities: n/a
- Typical office environment on office days
- Time spent on the computer is approximately 50%
- Occasional early departure or late return from the field
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, of 10 to 15 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Position dependent on donor funding