Under overall guidance and supervision of the Representative and direct supervision of the Admin Associate in the Operations Unit, the Fleet Management and Reception Assistant provides administrative and operational support services to the UNFPA Country Office. The officer manages the Driver Pool and the reception area of the Country Office.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Fleet Management and Reception Assistant is responsible for effective delivery of administrative services in the area of reception services and transport management in the CO Operations Unit. He/she
He/she delivers quality services in administration to internal and external clients mastering all relevant rules, guidelines, processes and procedures relating to transport management among others. He/she promotes a collaborative, client-oriented, results-focused approach to interpreting the rules, procedures and guidelines in service of the country programme, providing support and guidance to the Country Office and UNFPA-supported projects.
You would be responsible for:
A. General Administration, Fleet Management and Reception Services
- Prepares and monitors the administrative/petty cash budget and ensures front office activities are in accordance with UNFPA rules and procedures. Proposes procedures to improve internal controls.
- Implements systems, processes and applications in support of country office operations, including vehicles and front office management; maintains filing and mail management.
- Serve as escalation point or support for issues of fleet management
- Adapt processes and procedures to maximize effectiveness and efficiency in admin operations and management
- Ensure full compliance relevant UN rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, administrative systems relating to mail and transport systems.
- Facilitate effective budget management of office resources;
- Implement policies, guidelines and procedures for the effective maintenance of the fleet of vehicles for UNFPA Uganda.
- Maintain vehicles records, logs official trips, etc.
- Ensure cost-savings through proper use and maintenance of vehicles
- Maintain effective documentation, registrations, insurance, and related needs of the fleet of vehicles
- Ensure all statutory and legal formalities are adhered to
- Staff the reception area of UNFPA CO as may be required and provide related reception services to staff.
- Undertake services including filing, photocopying, mailing and distribution of newsletters and publications, telephone and utilities; and maintenance of stores
- Initiate and modify automated transactions;
- Set up, classify and maintain files; extract, input, review for accuracy and file data from various sources;
- Review status of relevant expenditures and compare with approved budget; Assist in preparation of budget performance submissions;
- Review supporting documentation, verify claims for action and conformance with administrative rules and regulations and liaise with other offices as appropriate;
- Make computations, calculations and estimates and prepare various reports or periodic reports including tables, charts, statistics by providing basic analysis as requested;
- Respond to queries from a variety of sources by providing information, advice and guidance on rules and regulations related to area of work or direct to the most appropriate source;
- Draft correspondence related to the area of responsibility;
- Design and update charts and tables utilizing graphic tools, design hard copy and computer resident forms; initiate, update and track computer assisted processing of administrative actions;
- Search for, retrieve, compile, assemble and archive a variety of statistical data from computer files, records, reports or from other sources for internal/external use; Provide analysis as requested;
- Coordinate extensively with service units and liaise frequently with staff both at the duty station and outside the duty station of assignment;
B. General Support
- Stand-in for other team members on selected functions as may be required.
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Completed Secondary Level / High School Education required.
- Diploma or first level university degree desirable in in business administration, information technology, hospitality, transport or related field is desirable.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least four years of relevant experience in administration, fleet, or front office management.
- Relevant experience in providing administrative management services
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems
- Experience in Fleet Management, Travel Management or Logistics is an added advantage
- A thorough understanding of the UN system in general, and especially UNFPA mandate, its policies and operations and current development topics and political issues in Uganda will be an added advantage
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team
- Fluency in English; knowledge of other official UN languages, preferably French is desirable.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves, our relationships, and others
- Communicating for impact
- Implementing and managing administrative systems.
- Business acumen and ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities.
- Delivering results-based programmes
- Technical Understanding of the areas of work
- People Management and Leadership
- Managing financial, transport and logistical processes
- Proficiency in current office and multimedia software applications
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.