ABOUT SOLIDARIDAD EAST AND CENTRAL AFRICA
Solidaridad is an international solution-oriented civil society organization with over 50 years of experience in developing solutions to make communities more resilient and create more sustainable supply chains. We work throughout the entire value chain to make sustainability the norm. Our innovative solutions support the transition to an inclusive economy that provides sustainable livelihoods with fair and profitable business opportunities. This includes decent working conditions, a fair living wage, and production in balance with nature so that all people can thrive now and for generations to come. Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, Solidaridad East, and Central Africa has country offices and programmes in Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Uganda, and outreaches in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Burundi, Rwanda, and Cameroon.
Title: Gender Officer – Uganda
Duration: 1-year contract (extension based on performance)
Reporting line: Country Manager – Uganda
Position level: Junior level
Location: Gulu, Uganda
Solidaridad is implementing a five-year multinational project dubbed ‘From Climate Victims to Climate Heroes’ that seeks to improve the landscapes and livelihoods of 50,000 smallholder coffee farmers in the Eastern, Northern, Western, Central, and West Nile regions of Uganda through carbon farming and financing. Solidaridad is therefore seeking to recruit a dynamic and innovative professional for the position of Communication Officer.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The primary role of the Gender officer is to support Gender and social inclusion in natural resources management, climate-smart agriculture and crop value chains in a bid to address inequalities and empower women and other marginalized groups as per Solidaridad thematic areas.
The gender officer will liaise with project staff to ensure gender and inclusion are prioritized in each project activity. She/he will also work with the M&E officer on gender monitoring frameworks with gender-specific indicators to monitor project interventions. She/he will provide technical support for gender integration of projects including conducting gender analysis, identification of gender issues and implementation of gender and inclusion interventions. She/he will support networking and coordination, business development and Knowledge management and sharing.
POSITION IN THE ORGANIZATION
The Gender Officer reports to the Country Manager. Works closely with the Regional Gender inclusivity Advisor, the Project team, and the quality team on Administration.
1. *Provide technical support to the project team
· Provide advice and support to the Project Managers and the Technical Advisors in the Implementation of the key gender components across the project areas
· Support projects teams to integrate gender in projects; e.g gender analysis and plans for gender integration.
· Support and coordinate capacity building of beneficiaries in gender methodologies and community sensitization approaches
· Liaise with project partners and other stakeholders in the project location to facilitate and enhance contribution towards the implementation of the gender and inclusion agenda.
· Support in updating and sharing with staff recent developments and knowledge tools in gender and inclusion.
· Support teams to ensure interventions are gender-sensitive and factor in the inclusion of normally socially excluded groups.
· Organize and mobilize women to participate in project interventions.
· Routine Reporting for the project
· Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
2. Monitoring and reporting on gender issues
· Assist in the development of case studies, best practices, and key learning on gender integration in the project including generating success stories related to projects to feed into the linking and learning agenda.
· Support the team to collect information for gender analysis, learning and best practices.
· Develop gender-monitoring frameworks with gender-specific indicators to enable teams to monitor gender-specific deliverables within projects.
· Monitor and report on the project-related gender issues.
· Prepare reports on the gender and inclusion in the agricultural value chains
· Provide information to be updated into reporting templates for all projects
3. Networking and Coordination
· Liaise with key national and international stakeholders, key domestic political and civic actors, civil society organizations, international NGOs, UN partners, and donors in the country to facilitate and enhance contribution towards the implementation of the gender equality agenda.
· Attend conferences and seminars as directed by the supervisor
· Represent Solidaridad in the country’s Sexual Gender-Based Violence working group.
4. Knowledge management and knowledge sharing
· Provide brief updates on the development of gender-related issues in the country.
· Provide assistance in data collection, compiling lessons learned, and establishing indicators to support knowledge sharing.
· Assist in the development of concept notes, project documents and policy frameworks, and research area and best practices as directed by supervisor.
· Participate in a gender-related community of practice in the region.
· Support in writing stories related to program and project developments as they relate to gender equality issues.
Bachelor’s Degree in Gender studies, Social Sciences, or related field with four years of relevant experience at the national or international level in the field of gender programming .
Specific Job Requirements:
● Experience in gender and inclusivity for at least 5 years with project-related activities in Uganda.
● Experience in gender integration in projects and capacity building in gender methodologies in projects for about 5 years in Uganda.
● Good reporting and writing skills.
● Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages.
● Excellent computer skills (SPSS, Excel, word)
● Timely outputs
● Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Interested candidates that meet the above qualifications should send their one-page cover letter (including salary expectations and availability) and CVs to:
Subject: “Gender Officer – Uganda”*