Salary: Local Terms and Conditions apply
Contract: 2 year Fixed Term Contract
Location: Uganda, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria or Senegal
Sightsavers works to eliminate avoidable blindness and promote the rights of people with disabilities. Within our Neglected Tropical Disease programmes we support a broad range of projects and activities across more than 30 countries that promote an integrated approach to eliminating NTDs
The Global Technical Lead will work closely with the NTD technical director; Senior Global Technical Advisors for Trachoma, Onchocerciasis, Lymphatic Filariasis, Schistosomiasis, and Soil-transmitted Helminths; and Senior Global Technical Lead on Inclusion to guide our approach to ensuring NTD patients have access to services as part of Sightsavers NTD implementation and research portfolio, taking a broad health systems strengthening approach. In addition, to factor inclusion into processes and interventions amongst key stakeholders through advocacy and capacity building, and tracking progress through quantitative and qualitative data collection, analysis, documenting reflection, learning and re-designing.
Main responsibilities of the Global Technical Lead – NTD Patient Care and Social Inclusion
- Supporting the Senior Technical Advisor for Onchocerciasis and LF to develop strategies, policy and frameworks for the implementation of technical activities for LF. Activities include, LF specific prevalence surveys, LF case finding, and provision of services to manage and address lymphedema and hydrocele
- Support the Senior Technical Advisor for Onchocerciasis and LF to ensure current WHO guidelines on LF morbidity management are followed and propose strategies to improve availability, quality and access to morbidity management services
- Work with the senior technical advisor for onchocerciasis and LF to provide Sightsavers country office staff and Ministry of Health partners with technical support for implementation of LF strategy, policy and frameworks, be the primary point of contact for technical advice to Sightsavers supported programmes, projects and research on LF
- Prepare progress reports on LF activities to senior technical advisor for onchocerciasis and LF and NTD technical director
- Where applicable support the development of best practice for integrated case follow-up for lymphoedema and hydrocele cases and quality of care in line with global standards;
- Work with different teams across the NTD Directorate to embed inclusive approaches in programme design and delivery of new programmes. This may entail delivering training and other capacity building as well as the creation of tools and guidance according to the needs of Sightsavers and our partners
- To provide technical expertise, assistance and support across the current Sightsavers NTD portfolio, for operationalizing LNOB country strategies and other inclusion initiatives. The will entail providing direct targeted support to country teams and national stakeholders to ensure that strategies to promote inclusion are effective and efficient.
- To support the collection and analysis of data and evidence to ensure that inclusion efforts are tracked and adapted as necessary ; cross-country learning and sharing will be an output
The successful candidate will be educated to degree level (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, have a background (or qualifications) in LF programmes including Patient Care within development sector, and have experience working globally on disability inclusion and/or gender mainstreaming and in complex environments. Furthermore, we are looking for someone with the ability to work within a complex matrix structure without compromising the roles of key programme personnel and have a successful track record of working in different contexts. Fluency in English is required and fluency in French is desirable, but not essential.
This is not an exhaustive list of duties or required professional skills, so if you are interested in the role and would like to find out more please read the complete Job Description for further details.
Closing date: 4th October 2020
Sightsavers works to eliminate avoidable blindness and promote the rights of people with disabilities. Our vision is of a world where no one is blind from avoidable causes, and where people with disabilities participate equally in society.
We are truly committed to creating an inclusive culture which values and recognises diversity as something that will only ever make an organisation better. We encourage anyone to apply who possesses the qualities and behaviours outlined or who believes they have the propensity to learn them fast. You will be joining an inclusive and supportive team who welcome people from all backgrounds.
Sightsavers does not accept unsolicited CVs from external recruitment agencies nor accept the fees associated with them.