CARE International is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to ending poverty. CARE works around the globe to save lives, defeat poverty, and achieve social justice. We put women and girls in the centre of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. CARE has been working in Uganda since 1969 and we work across all the regions of Uganda. The goal of our 2021-2025 business plan is to reach 10 million people, through our lifesaving and gender transformative humanitarian, development, and nexus programs. We are committed to working with government, private sector, and local civil society, especially women-led and women’s rights organisations. Our annual portfolio is $15 million, funded through a diverse range of donors.
- I)Job Summary
The Head of Risk (HoR) is a senior leadership position that requires uncompromising integrity, project cycle management knowledge, risk environment analysis/outcome/solution mapping, and strong leadership skills. The HoR will engage with country office leadership to identify potential risks in the industry and support the institutionalization of a more risk-informed management approach. Key operational risks that affect delivery and impact shall be monitored, with particular attention being paid to non-compliance with donor policy as well as fraud/corruption.
The HoR will be responsible for developing and implementing risk management policies and procedures, conducting risk assessments and audits, providing training and guidance to staff, and reporting on risk-related matters to senior management.
Overall, the Head of Risk will play a critical role in ensuring that the Country Office operates in a way that minimizes risk and maximizes its potential for success. This is to be achieved through reinforcing the continuum between risk identification, root cause analysis, implementation of risk mitigation measures and pre-emptive response to risks.
- II) Specific Responsibilities
Responsibility #1: Support the enhancement and sustainability of CARE’s risk management framework (25%)
- Develop a Comprehensive Risk Management Framework that ensures that all key risks – programmatic, financial, and operational are identified, assessed, measured, controlled, and managed promptly. This will require a thorough understanding of the organization’s activities, operations, and objectives to ensure that all risks are adequately addressed.
- Support the Design of Risk Framework Components: The Head of Risk will need to enhance, build or expand Risk Identification, Risk Scoring, Risk Appetite, and Risk Reporting infrastructures, including relevant programs and processes through effective management of the organization’s risk management framework and system. This will require a good understanding of the organization’s structure, operations, and key performance indicators to ensure that the risk management system is fit for purpose.
- Participate in Development, Dissemination, and Monitor Implementation of Systems: The Head of Risk will participate in the development, dissemination, and monitor implementation of systems, standards, policies, and procedures for the identification, collection, and analysis of risk-related information. This will require effective communication and collaboration with other departments to ensure that all risks are identified and reported promptly.
- Develop Appropriate and Innovative Initiatives to Mitigate Risk Exposure: The Head of Risk will participate in the development of appropriate and innovative initiatives to mitigate the risk exposure level to the organization. This will require a proactive approach to risk management, including identifying emerging risks and developing mitigation strategies.
- Continuously Monitor CARE’s Risk Exposure: The Head of Risk will have to continuously monitor CARE’s risk exposure and flag off any areas of concern. This will require the use of appropriate risk monitoring tools and techniques to ensure that all risks are identified and monitored regularly.
- Engage Teams to Co-create and Develop Key Risk Indicators: The Head of Risk will need to engage teams to co-create and develop key risk indicators and ensure compliance. This will require effective communication and collaboration with other departments to ensure that key risk indicators are relevant and aligned with the organization’s objectives.
Responsibility 2: Support CARE Uganda’s Compliance Plan 35%
- Conduct Periodic Risk Assessments and Prepare Risk Profiles: The Head of Risk will need to conduct periodic risk assessments as directed by the Country Director and SMT and prepare respective risk profiles that facilitate monitoring and addressing of the risk elements at CARE. This will require a good understanding of the organization’s operations and objectives to identify potential compliance risks.
- Engage with Program Teams to Review Project Implementation Processes: The Head of Risk will need to engage with program teams to review project implementation processes and reports and follow up on the implementation of past assessment recommendations. This will require effective communication and collaboration with other departments to ensure that all compliance risks are adequately addressed.
- Support Ongoing Compliance Embedding Process: The Head of Risk will need to support the ongoing compliance embedding process using internal policies and regulatory requirements, and maintenance of a comprehensive up-to-date organizational policy and regulations database. This will require a good understanding of the relevant regulatory requirements and industry best practices to ensure that the organization’s compliance program is fit for purpose.
- Ensure Departments Maintain Up-to-date Obligations Registers: The Head of Risk will need to ensure that departments maintain up-to-date obligations registers, with compliance risks managed as per the enterprise risk management framework. This will require effective communication and collaboration with other departments to ensure that all compliance risks are adequately addressed.
- Provide Ongoing User Support: The Head of Risk will need to provide ongoing user support to ensure alignment of CARE’s Risk Management Framework and underlying risk programs and processes, ensuring the organization is operating in compliance with applicable industry best practices and global regulatory guidelines. This will require effective communication and collaboration with other departments to ensure that all compliance risks are adequately addressed, and the organization is operating in compliance with applicable regulations and standards.
Responsibility #3: Support Organizational Audit Program 15%
- Ensure Internal Audit Planning and Execution Places the Right Emphasis: The Head of Risk will need to ensure that internal audit planning and execution places the right emphasis on internal control design and operation, technical GAAP accounting matters, and developing innovative compliance solutions. This will require a good understanding of accounting and auditing principles and the ability to identify areas of risk in the organization’s operations.
- Analyse Internal/External Audit Findings and Successful Resolution: The Head of Risk will need to analyse internal/external audit findings and successful resolution and suggest new, innovative risk management solutions that are technology-enabled. This will require a good understanding of the organization’s operations and the ability to identify areas of risk that require innovative solutions.
- Serve as a Trusted Advisor to the Country Director on Audit Matters: The Head of Risk will need to serve as a trusted advisor to the Country Director on audit matters and recommend solutions. This will require effective communication and collaboration with other departments to ensure that audit recommendations are effectively implemented.
- Communication between PMs/IMs and PD/DoP/HRM: The Head of Risk will need to communicate well among PMs/IMs and PD/DoP/HRM to ensure engagement expectation and objectives are clear and met by all parties. This will require effective communication and collaboration with other departments to ensure that all parties are aligned on audit expectations and objectives. Additionally, the Head of Risk will need to ensure timely status updates and involve program and program support leadership in the resolution of issues that surface from the audits and other reviews.
Responsibility #4: Support Staff Capacity building interventions 10%
- Recruit talented staff to the risk management unit; lead the teams with technical capability, effective risk management program execution, moreover, with empathy and team cohesion.
- Actively participate in committees related to risk management, safety, and quality improvement at Country, Regional and Global levels.
- Participate and/ or facilitate capacity building for all staff and partners aimed at strengthening risk management and compliance in the organization.
- Provide comprehensive feedback to field teams through reporting process in relation to donor requirements and quality reporting.
- Support the CO to identify where support is needed with field teams and provide training and support.
- Support the convening periodically (meetings) to discuss CARE’s risk profile with Management staff.
Responsibility #5: Contribute to the Success of CARE Uganda’s Partnership Approach (10% time)
- Provide good admin support to Partners upon Country Leadership Team request, in issues such as capacity assessment, good report writing etc.
- Become familiar with Partnership strategy and contribute to establishing quality partnership.
- Support Diversity and gender focal point to promote acceptance of diversity.
Responsibility #6: Uphold CARE Values and contribute to CARE Uganda’s shared priorities-Gender Equity and Diversity and Safeguarding (5% time)
- Be aware of the CARE Uganda safety and Security Management Plan (SSMP) and always comply with it.
- Be aware of CARE’s commitments to Gender and Diversity and strive to uphold them.
- Always promote CARE’s core values.
- Practice a behaviour consistent with CARE core values and promote gender equity and diversity goals.
- Play a leadership role in identifying and implementing initiatives that enhance CARE’s commitment to gender and diversity.
- Ensure that CARE Safeguarding policies and procedures are adhered to by all and the staff that S/he supervisors both directly and indirectly.
- Ensure that He / She and consortium personnel under the project are familiar with the following organisational policies and procedures and can identify when needed how these may have been breached, The CI Safeguarding policy, Protection from Sexual Harassment, Exploitation and Abuse and Child Abuse, The anti-discrimination and harassment policy, The code of conduct and the organizations Values.
III. Budgetary responsibility:
Risk Management Unit
- Contracts and Key Relationships:
(Reporting direct to CD, with two direct reports. Close working relations with PD / DoP, and Heads of Department)
- Working Conditions:
- As stated in the terms of contract and the CARE International Uganda HR manual
- Travel is up to 75%
- Required Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline required, master’s degree is desirable, preferably MBA.
- 8 years of professional experience with at least two years’ work experience in relief or development programs.
- Demonstrable understanding of project planning and management cycles
- Knowledge of and donor regulations, procedures, and requirements (USG, EU, ECHO, UN etc).
- Demonstrable high level performance management and team working skills, with experience in managing a portfolio of multiple donors.
- Training and coaching skills.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements.
- Highly organized, close attention to detail, and ability to effectively prioritize tasks in a fluid environment.
- Must demonstrate the ability to handle multiple and conflicting priorities, and work under strict deadlines.
- Must have high standards of integrity and ethical practice.
- High level of knowledge and practice with word, Excel, Outlook, etc, required.
- Ability to work well under administrative and programmatic pressures.
- Professional fluency in spoken and written English; able to communicate concisely and with impact.
- Team-working skills; well-developed negotiation skills and ability to communicate effectively in internal and external settings.
- Demonstrable ability to work, communicate and build effective relations remotely.
- Good time management, coordination skills and ability to prioritize high volumes of work to meet tight deadlines.
Desirable qualifications and competencies:
- Experience in data analysis and reporting.