Human Resource and Administration Officer
Finance & Operations Manager with dotted lines to Country Manager
Management responsibility (if applicable)
Administrative Assistant, Office Assistant
Type of position:
Grade and Salary:
A competitive INGO salary
Contract terms and hours:
Fixed-term 12 months contract (37.5 hours a week).
Saferworld is an independent international Non-Government Organisation working to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives. We work with people affected by conflict to improve their safety and sense of security, and conduct wider research and analysis. We use this evidence and learning to improve local, national and international policies and practices that can help build lasting peace. Our priority is people – we believe in a world where everyone can lead peaceful, fulfilling lives, free from fear and insecurity. We have programmes in around 20 countries and territories across Africa, the Middle East, Asia and Europe and have over 150 staff. We work with a wide range of partners including government agencies, international organisations, civil society organisations, youth and women groups; and communities.
Saferworld has been working in Uganda since 2001. Our main focus has been on supporting civil society involvement in conflict prevention and security provision, conflict-sensitive approaches to development, and advocating stronger national and regional controls on small arms and light weapons. Current priorities include, delivering conflict sensitivity support to institutions and stakeholders working on issues related to land and minerals, including working to improve conflict resolution and community safety in Karamoja, northern Uganda, and other areas of central Uganda experiencing land conflict and insecurity.
- The role purpose is two-fold with a split into two distinct roles. The first comprising of a range of responsibilities such as office administration and logistical support with the principal aim of helping to ensure the smooth running of the office.
- The second is to support the team with recruitment and selection, employee administration, the HR database and any other related duties.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Handle the recruitment process for the programme office
- Administer the Human Resources Information System (Cascade) for all staff ensuring staff records are complete and up to date.
- Responsible for preparing HR documents, maintaining accurate and complete personnel and recruitment files; updating checklist and HR trackers as necessary.
- Implement induction programmes for new staff, and ensure that probation and other process are put in place.
- Prepare monthly Payroll ensuring staff changes (new hires, terminations etc.) are accurately reflected on HR Monthly Reports and documentation is complete and filed in the personnel file.
- Prepare and review final pay statements for staff that are terminating.
- Ensure that Saferworld complies with employment requirements of Uganda labor laws keeping up-to-date with required legislation and networking with other NGOs in Uganda
- Implementing any arising Human Resources related audit recommendations at Country level in liaison with the Country Manager.
- Ensure the annual performance management process takes place and support line managers where necessary with support from HQ’s HR team
- Provide pastoral support where appropriate.
- Promote awareness and ensure implementation of Saferworld’s human resources policies and procedures, especially all Ethical policies and Safeguarding Policies, – in conjunction with the Country Manager, Head of East Africa and HR Team in London
- Work with the wider HR team to provide an effective HR service across the organisation.
- Ensure the efficient running of Saferworld’s office/s, working with other teams to identify and fulfil supply needs and improve or develop systems where necessary.
- Oversee office space management, including the anticipation of office space needs and managing office moves.
- Ensure compliance with national and organizational Health and Safety policies, including for any Saferworld staff based in partners offices in Uganda
- Lead annual insurance renewals with the support of Operations Manager in London
- Ensure compliance with NGO Bureau requirements, including management of periodic registration renewals or ad hoc requests from the Government of Uganda
- Obtain work permits and visas for expatriate staff or visitors when required
- Lead in review of service contracts and purchases in relation to office provision and approvals in alignment with the finance policies
- Oversee travel policies and logistics for international visitors to the Uganda programme, including obtaining visas, flights, per diems and accommodation
- Liaise with the Kampala IT consultant to address any staff IT challenges
- Ensure that all lease, insurance and other legal documents are in order, up-to-date, and cost effective
- Any other duty may be assigned to the post holder as required by the Line Manager
Key working relationships
Finance and Operations Manager; Country Manager, Operations and Logistics Officer, Programme Managers; London and Uganda Programme teams; Finance officers; Saferworld HR network and HQ HR Team; Global Operations Manager
Scope and accountability
Decision making and limits of authority
- As per Saferworld existing authorisation matrix
- Shared Responsibility for premises maintenance and security
Legal, regulatory and compliance responsibility
- Ensure compliance to policies, procedures and practices in the organisation
- Ensure compliance with national legislation. Where there is contradiction, seek guidance
Knowledge, qualifications and experience
- Desirable: Master’s degree in Human Resource Management, Organisational Psychology, Strategic Management or MBA or an equivalent of Post Graduate Diploma with 3 years’ experience in HR Management.
- BA degree in HRM, Business Administration or related field.
- Proven hands-on experience in HR management of over 3-5years.
- Knowledge of HRIS preferably Cascade
- Working experience with INGO preferred
- Knowledge of payroll software, is an asset.
Skills and abilities
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and adept at employee relations including conflict resolution.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and exercise confidentiality.
- Highly organized and self-motivated.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with a diverse staff.
- Commitment to and compliance with Saferworld’s safeguarding principles
- Commitment to respect and value equality and diversity, and understanding of how this applies to own area of work
- Commitment to own continuing personal and professional development
- Commitment to the vision, mission and values of Saferworld
- The job may require prolonged periods of desk sitting and working on a computer.
- The position is based in Kampala, with potential occasional travel to field offices/project sites.
How to Apply
To apply: Download and complete an application form at http://www.saferworld.org.uk/jobs/jobs and send to firstname.lastname@example.org (Ref: UG-HR & Admin Officer)
Deadline for applications: 28 May, 2023 at 5:00pm EAT