Country/Region: Uganda Country Office
Organization: Save the Children International
You may also like:
- African Union (AU) Recruitment : Open Jobs/Application
- USA Embassy Recruitment : Open Jobs/Application
- 10 Easiest Countries to Obtain a Work Visa
- UNDP Recruitment : Open Jobs/Application
Join us to lead sustainable change for children:
- Be part of a GLOBAL and DIVERSE community
- Get EXPOSURE in many different contexts
- Test and scale up INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS
- Influence policies that affect MILLIONS OF CHILDREN
Are you passionate about quality, impactful, evidence-based, scalable programs for children? Do you want to use your expertise to bring about lasting change for children and be a part of an inspiring, dynamic global movement?
The Internal Auditor will be responsible for carrying out audits, reviews, risk assessment and investigations to deliver opinions on the effectiveness of the controls and risk framework operating across Save the Children International and partners in Uganda. The role holder supports the Head of Internal Control and Risk Management in maintaining a systematic audit function, adequate internal controls and effective handling of incidents related to fraud and compliance.
Sounds interesting? Read more below.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- As per the department’s planning, conduct systematic internal audits in line with SCI and donor policies and procedures.
- Maintain an audit action tracker up-to-date and follow up on outstanding action with the respective teams. Provide analysis trends of audit actions to the Head of Department.
- Conduct partner audits as per plan or as and when needed on ad-hoc basis.
- Support external audits of SCI projects/operations when required. Review responses to external audit reports and follow up for closure.
Internal Control function:
- Work with Departmental Directors and Regional Area Managers to provide support and capacity building to address weakness or non- compliance through training of staff at country office, field offices and partners on financial and non-financial systems, policies and procedures.
- Support the Partnership Coordinator and Partnership Finance Lead in conducting partner assessments related to finance and internal controls, ahead of new partnerships or to address weaknesses during implementation phase.
- Be the custodian of the Save the Children Whistle blowing and Fraud Policy; actively encourage reporting by staff of suspected deviation from the Save the Children values or standards, fraud, unethical behaviour, negligence or criminal activity within the organisation.
- Evaluate control over financial management including systems audits.
- Evaluate the risk of compliance of SCI operations with government of Uganda laws and regulations.
- Ensure adequate controls are in place to safeguard assets.
- Conduct special investigations into cases of alleged fraud and violations of Code of Conduct as required; provide adequate reports to the Head of Department.
- Ensure timely and effective reporting into SCI’s Datix reporting system and adequate closure of cases.
- Upon request, support investigation into reported Child Safeguarding incidents involving staff, volunteers or any person related to SCUG (i.e., staff of partner organization, contractor, visitor, etc.)
- Support Partnership team in addressing issues of fraud involving implementing partners.
- Conduct annual fraud risk assessment to determine potential fraud exposures and recommend mitigating actions.
- Support facilitate cross functional process to identify and assess major CO level risks, considering all major areas of CO strategic focus;
- Support the Head of Department in adequately capturing the key risks in the Risk Framework (SCARF), with clear activities and responsibilities for mitigation. Monitor progress and ensure regular Risk Management Committee meetings.
- Participate in project level and award risk assessments.
- Evaluate the risk of non-compliance with policies and procedures, misappropriation of funds, and lead investigations where required.
External Risk and Quality Assurance:
Support the Head of Department in effective monitoring of the policy and regulatory environment in all areas of operation and collaborate with relevant function/department leads to develop effective response and mitigation measures.
To be successful for this role you will bring/have the following:
- At least a bachelor’s degree or higher in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or other relevant field.
- Preferably a member of at least one relevant professional body such as Institute of Internal Auditors, ACCA or CPA, or possess relevant professional qualifications.
- At least 3 years’ experience in internal auditing and risk management
- Experience in middle level management in a large organisation
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Excellent time management and planning capacity
- Excellent communication skills, initiative, the ability to meet tight deadlines and work independently is essential.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving skills.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at https://hcri.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Application closes on 03rd November 2023 at midnight Uganda time.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent, persons with disabilities and female candidates are encouraged to apply.