The IT Officer is responsible for the management of the IT infrastructure (Servers and Network Support), client systems (desktops, Printers, laptops and phones), end user support at Jhpiego Uganda offices, and technical assistance to health facilities, as needed, that extends health services to rural and underserved populations. The nature of the work requires an individual who is service-oriented, organized, and who can interact with diverse end-users and technical staff, prioritize tasks, and resolve technical issues.
Network & Server administration
- Provide support on LAN / WLAN/ WAN / VPN telephone or VoIP
- Troubleshoot system and network failures and identify bottlenecks to ensure long term efficiency of network
- Test and configure software and maintain and repair hardware and peripheral end user devices
- Organize and schedule upgrades and systems maintenance
- Manage Project data Backup and IT disaster recovery plans
- Provide technical support to project team on computer and network usage and offer comprehensive advice and instructions
- Setup, configuration, monitoring and management of server hardware, server applications, UPSes and other power backup systems
- Perform diagnostics and management and support of the Server infrastructure, Intranet and other Servers
- Management of the print servers and All-in-One
- Manage and Escalate issues with network equipment including switches, wireless access points and
User and Client System Support
- Provide user support (diagnosis and resolution of basic Hardware and Software faults).
- Troubleshoot user computer software and hardware issues and make repairs and perform scheduled updates
- Manage the Help Desk system to ensure IT Support SLAs are
- Join end user Computers to the Azure Active Directory
- Ensure security updates on end user equipment is
- Maintain computers hardware parts and
- Manage IT equipment inventory
- Maintain system and configuration change documentation
- Review, evaluate, and make recommendations on proposals for hardware or software
- Ensure user compliance with IT policies and
- Follow Jhpiego IT Service Management
- Participate in IT Scheduled projects and Scheduled
- Maintain system and configuration change documentation.
- Prepare, document, and communicate system status reports with Global ISTS team User Training
- Identification of routine desktop and application support issues and provision of training for staff and partners as
- Provide Support, end user Training and Configuration on M365 and other cloud collaboration Technologies
- Maintenance of IT User Guide, and develop per project, if needed. Administration
- Maintain IT hardware and software asset
- Management of loaner equipment pool. Other
Other duties as necessary and as assigned
Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Tec nt knowledge and skills
• CompTIA A+ Certification.
• CompTIA Network+ or CCNA Certification.
• ITIL Foundation
Experience / Skills / Knowledge
• 5 years’ experience in a similar role.
• Good knowledge of LAN/WAN networks, TCP/IP protocols and network technologies
• Extensive experience with desktop and laptop hardware from major vendors.
• Extensive experience supporting desktops, laptops, and mobile devices.
• Extensive experience using and supporting Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat,
and other common desktop applications.
• Experience with Microsoft Office 365.
• Experience with videoconferencing systems, including Zoom
• Highly developed troubleshooting skills and processes.
• Ability to explain technical issues to a non-technical audience.
• Ability to exercise independent judgment in determining and implementing
improvements/solutions for computer hardware.
• Ability to work in a team and foster teamwork in others.
• Able to carry loads of 50 pounds, including servers, printers and computers for physical
• Understanding of the importance of documenting system configuration information.
• A broad variety of IT and support management skills including the ability to
discriminate between incidents and problems and knowing when a quick fix is not
sufficient to permanently resolve a problem.
• Ability to identify and categorize relevant information about changes in configuration for
• Be self-motivated, proactive and have a positive attitude to work requiring minimum
• Excellent organizational skills including the ability to handle a variety of assignments
sometimes under pressure of deadlines.
• Be cooperative, hardworking, flexible & dependable.
• Ability to communicate effectively, instilling trust and confidence.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Be willing to take on extra responsibilities in order to achieve the
goals/objectives set by the
• Experience with Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 R2, 2016, 2019 platforms.
• Experience with VMware and/or Microsoft Hyper-V virtualization platforms.
• Experience using and support Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 technologies.