Overview: Trees for the Future Inc. (TREES) is a nonprofit organization providing technical training and supplies for farmers in East and West Africa to end hunger through the Forest Garden Approach. Our mission is to improve the livelihoods of impoverished farmers by revitalizing degraded lands. We do this by eliminating hunger and enhancing dietary diversity of the communities we serve through growing crops with the nutrients needed for healthy livelihoods; improving the environment, and adaptation to climate change and increased profits for farmers practicing our Forest Garden Approach. We are seeking candidates to fill the position of Technician Supervisor (1 position) that would support expansion efforts in our fast-growing Climate Smart Agroforestry Program. This position will be based in Busiu Sub county Mbale District.
Technician Supervisor (1 Position based in Busiu Sub county, Mbale District)
This role holder will provide leadership and oversight for projects in the Mt. Elgon region by supporting planning, budgeting, implementing and reporting of results. S/he will coordinate lead technicians to consolidate plans, budgets and reports; in addition will organise logistics right from planning, requesting and distribution to ensure all teams under his/ her jurisdictions are supported in timely fashion. He/she will ensure technical quality of Forest garden approaches as per established training manual. The selected candidate based in our Manafwa office will be reporting to the Regional Manager. S/he will supervise technicians by regularly monitoring of all projects to ensure that their work is in perfect progress with the indicators, the process and the activities of the projects. He/she will make corrections with the technicians if necessary; support the mobilization of new villages and advise for additional staff where necessary. S/He will identify training needs of technicians and assistants; co-facilitate trainings in collaboration with the Country trainer and the Regional Manager and regularly check the information sent by the technicians in the Taroworks.
Primary functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Support project team in planning, scheduling of activities and logistics to ensure that all projects are properly served to implement FGs.
• Carry out regular field monitoring at the level of each project and provide technical support to technicians.
• Support technicians to identify and mobilize new participants and reach new and existing farmers in all groups within projects.
• Organize and execute training activities for technicians in collaboration with the Country trainer,
• Ensure timely data collection and reporting to the Regional Manager.
• Participate in the development and / or translation of locally appropriate training materials.
• Collaborate with the Regional Manager to develop and execute Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) with local NGOs and others projects.
• Collaborate with Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator in planning and executing surveys and ensure high data is collected and submitted
• Provide information and complete additional tasks on time as requested by the Regional Manager and or Country Director
• Maintain close communication with the Regional Manager.
The candidate must have the following minimum qualifications for this position:
Minimum of bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (eg agroforestry, forestry, agriculture, etc.), or demonstrated degree of achievement in agriculture, preferably in agroforestry and sustainable agriculture
• At least 4 years of experience as a technician in charge of a Forest garden project or similar
• Excellent communication skills with proven experience with participatory training and facilitation
• Skilled in methodologies change which may require the implementation of new technologies in the field of work.
• Able to regularly visit technicians, their assistants and participants in the field
• A valid motorcycle license with a history of safe motorcycle operation or interested to learn riding
• Fluency in English spoken and written.
• Basic computer skills and smartphone application use skills
Interested and qualified candidates should address their application to the Country Director and submit e-copies of their application by sending an email to benjamin. email@example.com enclosing a detailed CV and cover letter expressing their interest not later than 31st March 2023. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.