The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a Junior Research Assistant – Data management, to be based in Kampala, Uganda.
CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research organization with a global mandate to conduct research on potatoes, sweet potatoes, Andean root and tuber crops, and sustainable management of natural resources. CIP’s vision is to contribute from its areas of expertise to the fulfillment of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), in particular those goals that relate to poverty, hunger, child and maternal mortality, and sustainable development. CIP has its headquarters in Lima, Peru with staff and activities in locations across Africa, Asia and Latin America. CIP, a member of the One CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future. One CGIAR science is dedicated to transforming food, land and water systems in a climate crisis, and it is carried out by 13 CGIAR Centers/Alliances in close collaboration with hundreds of partners, including national and regional research institutes, civil society organizations, academia, development organizations and the private sector.
About the role
The International Potato Center (CIP) has been working towards modernizing sweet potato breeding programs, by improving excellence in data management and analysis as well as experimental designs. The new position will contribute to breeding data management and analysis.
You may also like :
- United Nations recruitment 2023/2024 Online application form
- IOM Recruitment 2023/2024 : Online application
- Coca-Cola Recruitment 2023/2024 : Online application
- Work with sweet potato breeders to ensure all accession names and trait ontologies are updated in Breed base.
- Provide technical support and backstopping in trial design, data collection, curation, and storage in Breed base. The datasets include agronomic, genomic, near infra-red spectrometry (NIRS), Image (DigiEye), sensory and qualitative data from social science surveys.
- Provide support in digitalization of breeding program by intensive use of digital tools and softwares like Intercross App, Tablets, and digital scales to capture breeding data in the field and laboratories.
- Support of labelling of germplasm in tissue culture, field, and greenhouses.
- Support capacity building efforts among project collaborators and partners in data collection, documentation, and management.
- Contribute to development of data collection forms for digital data collection.
- Perform any other activity as assigned to by the supervisor.
What are we looking for?
- BSc degree in Information Systems, Database Management, Computer Science, or related discipline from a recognized institution.
- At least one year’s experience in supporting research data management systems.
- Research monitoring and evaluation systems for research projects, including socio-economic.
and/or biological surveys and beneficiary registration.
- Knowledge and experience developing Open Data Kit (ODK) forms.
- Experience of working in agricultural research setting preferred.
- Good interpersonal communication and personal organization skills.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills in English, Fluent in Kiswahili.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
- CIP works with partners in over 20 countries to improve diets and incomes of poor people in Africa, Asia and Latin America through scientific research, innovation, and capacity strengthening.
- CIP’s programs seek to strengthen broader agri-food systems to generate economic, social and nutritional benefits for farmers, enterprises and consumers emphasizing the priorities of women and youth in particular.
- CIP emphasizes the synergies between social and bio-physical sciences as a core strategy for making breakthroughs in our understanding of complex development challenges in food and agriculture and for our ability to overcome these.
What are we offering?
- Excellent working environment.
- Competitive compensation package commensurate with experience.
- Fixed term contract of 1 year with possibility of renewal.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace
How to Apply
Visit the following link: (http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/) and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references. Screening of applications will begin on September 20, 2023, and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted. This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position limited to Uganda nationals and permanent residents only.
This position WILL NOT have contact with children or vulnerable adults.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals are particularly encouraged to apply.
CIP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training). CIP also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.