Nakasero Hospital is a private hospital in Uganda that has been in operation since 2009. Our Mission is to provide quality, sustainable, compassionate health care by leveraging local and international talent and state-of-the-art technology.
As such we are looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of Laboratory Quality Officer
Job Purpose: To develop, implement and maintain a quality management system (QMS) for all aspects of laboratory practice so as to comply with the legal requirements of the Ministry of Health, the standards of accreditation bodies including but not limited to the South African National Accreditation System (SANAS), and the College of American Pathologists (CAP)
Develop, implement and review the laboratory clinical governance plan, report on the functioning and effectiveness of the quality management system and be instrumental in the development of a culture of quality and critical review within the laboratory.
- Report on the functioning and effectiveness of the Quality Management System and be the point of contact and liaison with accrediting bodies and Ministry of Health. Co-ordinate inspections and respond to non-compliances and quality deficiencies that are identified from time to time.
- Communicate changes in legislation, recommended working practices and best practice from the government, accrediting, inspection and professional bodies and deal with complaints from the users of the laboratory, both verbal and written.
- Provide specialized training on the Quality Management System and Quality Management Issues and lead in the development and implementation of a coordinated training policy within the laboratory in both quality management and other discipline specific subjects
- Participate in staff developmental reviews and develop templates for personal development portfolios for all staff to meet the requirements of the AHPC
- Responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of a Quality Management System and Auditing system for the laboratory. Develop Standard Operating Procedures within the Quality Management and Training Systems across the laboratory service in accordance with National and International legislation, SANAS, CAP and other compliance or accreditation body standards. Coordinate the QMS between laboratory disciplines
- Regularly carry out research in Quality Management and in training needs to ensure the Quality Management System evolves and keeps pace with new developments and that the training provided to laboratory and other staff is in line with current legal and best practice guidelines.
- Produce a Quality Policy and a Quality Manual, maintain these documents and identify areas for improvement in quality management in the laboratory. Produce quality plans and objectives to meet the changing needs of the laboratory environment and develop and implement a Corrective and Preventative Action (CAPA) system for the laboratory.
- Provide highly specialized advice on quality issues within the laboratory that have a direct impact on the level and type of care provided to patients. Establish and maintain a document control system and ensure that there are procedures for the control of clinical material to comply with current recommendations and legislation.
- Responsible for maintaining records of complaints (from all laboratory users (patients and other staff)), incidents and patient comments and ensuring these are investigated and issues resolved if appropriate
- Report, investigate and take measures to resolve Laboratory incidents and failures of service provision. Analyse the results of audits to improve the laboratory service. Look at current systems used in the laboratory to see if they could be improved through the introduction of quality principles.
- Undertake the process of validation for the introduction of new laboratory investigations or equipment to ensure accuracy and precision and that it meets the manufacturers stated performance criteria.
- Investigate, recommend and implement corrective and preventative actions when the quality management system identifies a loss of performance of the laboratory equipment, systems or methods
- Work with the laboratory manager to keep expenditure within budgetary limits and to be pro- active in cost saving measures. Take a lead on quality issues involved in the decision making process for the purchase of new equipment within the laboratory, as part of the procurement process.
- Actively participate in such forms of study that can be used as evidence of Continuing Professional Development. Maintain and develop personal, technical and managerial skills by attendance at appropriate courses, meetings and conferences. Have in place a current personal development plan and a professional portfolio
- Coordinate the development of appropriate training schemes and means of recording for all grades of staff in the laboratory. Develop training schedules for the introduction and implementation of new technologies and methods. Develop training/educational material for use by all staff within the department and throughout Nakasero Hospital. Maintain AHPC registration as a Laboratory Scientist/technologist and provide proof of such.
- Comply with local and national policies for the safe, secure and confidential processing and storage of patient and other laboratory information. Responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of a quality management database to include analyser logs, training logs and records of incidents and complaints.
- Develop and produce regular reports for laboratory management and meetings and on all audits performed in the laboratory, as well as produce non-compliance notes as part of the laboratory audit process. Produce reports required by accrediting and compliance bodies
- Manually enter results into the laboratory information system in the absence of direct data transfer from laboratory instruments. Responsible for the integrity and accuracy of laboratory databases, developing and adapting as necessary.
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Strong team orientation;
- Ability to work independently, with minimum handholding and supervision;
- Energetic, resilient and passionate;
- Professional, mature and confident.
- Must have excellent problem-solving skills
- Ready to multitask
- Leadership ability
Knowledge/Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Science/Technology from a Recognized University/College
- Candidate shall have a proper understanding of the ISO15189;2012 standard and accrediting body requirements such as SANAS or CAP
- Candidate shall have a proper understanding of Laboratory Quality Management Systems
- The candidate shall have had trainings with evidence (certificates) in these fields; ISO15189; 2012, LQMS, Internal audits, CAPA, Management Review (MR) and Statistical Process Control (SPC).
- Any other trainings relevant to quality assurance/control held will be of an added advantage
- Experience of working with an accredited Laboratory or one undergoing accreditation will be an added advantage.
Candidates that have relevant experience, meet the above criteria and have what it takes to excel in the above position, should submit their applications, Curriculum vitae and academic certificates to the Human Resource Manager in hard copy at the HR Office on the 2nd Floor of the Hospital Not later than Thursday March 31st 2022.
Nakasero Hospital provides an equal opportunity for all qualified persons and does not discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, ethnicity, tribe, national origin, ancestry, religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Canvassing or lobbying by an applicant directly or indirectly in connection with any appointment shall disqualify the applicant.
Nakasero Hospital does not offer any positions without an interview and never asks candidates for money. If you are asked for money, we strongly recommend that you do not respond and do not send money or personal information.