The National Drug Authority (NDA) is an autonomous body which was established by the National Drug Policy and Authority Act Cap 206, Laws of Uganda (2000 Edition) to regulate Human and Veterinary Medicines and other healthcare products. NDA’s mandate is to ensure quality, safety and efficacy of human and veterinary medicines and other healthcare products through the regulation and control of their production, importation, distribution and use.
In order to effectively fulfil its mandate, the Authority is looking for competent persons with required skills, attitude and qualifications to fill the under listed position. This advert runs from Monday 4th October 2021 and closes at 5:00 PM on Thursday 21st October 2021.
- LEGAL OFFICER Vacancies : One (1)
Salary Scale: NDA F
Directorate: Office of the Secretary to the Authority
Department: Legal Services
Reports to: Head Legal Services
Direct reports: Legal Assistant, Court Clerk
Duty Station: Head Office
Contract Duration: Initial contract will run up to 30th June, 2023
2.0 Main Purpose
Provide legal advisory and litigation services to National Drug Authority
3.0 Duties and Responsibilities .
- Represent National Drug Authority in Courts of Law.
- Prosecute criminal cases arising out of the National Drug Policy and Authority
- Formulate defense and prosecution strategies for cases in which National Drug Authority has an interest.
- Liaise with and support external counsel in preparation for trial.
- Provide input in the development and implementation of enforcement and investigation procedures.
- Provide legal advice in respect of compliance with the National Drug Policy and Authority Act as well as all other laws of Uganda.
- Participate in the review of legislation governing the operations of National Drug Authority and advise on areas for amendment.
- Draft legal documents and other legal correspondences
- Participate in workshops and seminars for capacity building and information sharing with stakeholders and relevant partners.
- Participate in performance/management review meetings and guide management decisions for continual improvement.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Law (LLB) from a recognized University
- Post Graduate Diploma in legal Practice from Law Development Centre
- A valid Practicing Certificate.
- Three (3) years’ experience in similar position in a reputable organization
- Good analytical, reporting and communication skills
- High personal integrity
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent legal drafting skills
Please submit a cover letter, copies of your academic qualifications together with your Curriculum Vitae (CV) indicating three (3) referees of whom one (1) should be your current or most recent employer not later than 5.00 p.m. on 21st October 2021 either electronically to the e-mail address
– email@example.com or hand delivered to National Drug Authority office, First Floor, Rumee , Plot 19 Lumumba Avenue opposite TWED PLAZA.
Your application should be addressed to:
The Secretary to the Authority, National Drug Authority
Plot 19, Lumumba Avenue
P.O. Box 23096