EABL operates within a multi cultural, multi national, multi currency environment. EABL comprises four business units: KBL, EAML, CGI and UBL. UBL is further categorized into Demand and Supply. The Supply business is involved in production of beer and spirits. The Demand business is involved in marketing and pushing the product to consumers.
This role is located within the Demand Beer Uganda business. UBL has been the dominant player in the Ugandan beer market for over 70 years. However, there are serious competitors who have come in the market. State of the economy with high taxation, high pricing and falling disposable incomes has made beer expensive. There is increasing government legislation that demands high compliance and change of advertising practices. Changing consumer needs demand brands that fit.
The Marketing Manager has ultimate responsibility for the marketing of core portfolio of brands. Provides functional advice and feedback to the Head of Marketing on all strategic and operational issues relating to these brands, with particular emphasis on marketing performance against budgeted objectives.
Works closely with the members of the Marketing team, strategy, External Affairs etc. Externally, the job holder is expected to work closely with Agencies – Advertising, POS, promotions, research, PR.
Financial Deliver the AOP targets on NSV, CAAP and GM.
Market Complexity: UBL is the No.1 player in the Total Beverage Alcohol Category playing across Beer and Spirits. UBL demand has 50% value share of beer market. UBL operates in a very competitive environment that has seen the entrant of new players in the total alcohol category. This necessitates the need for pro-active business approach. The company invests heavily in A&P, Media buying, sponsorships and events to build brand equity and increase operating economic profit. Market situation is changing rapidly due to the economic situation, declining disposable incomes and opening up of the economic trading blocks allowing in flow of products from other markets. Consumers are becoming more sophisticated. This requires proactive marketing to maximize company market share. Trade is evolving and being more sophisticated especially at retail level.
The Brand Managers report into this role. The job holder is required to conduct performance reviews, regular up-dates, brand plans, ad campaigns, etc.
The job holder requires the Marketing Director’s approval for any significant variances to strategy and budgets, and for portfolio rationalization.
Purpose of Role
Development and execution of the company’s strategic marketing plans in Uganda so as to achieve its target volume, mix, market share, profit and brand equity objectives for the respective brand.
- Coach and motivate the Marketing team to ensure that the people are of the highest quality and are committed to achieving the objectives.
- Leads the development of the brand’s Marketing Business Plans.
- Ensures brand positioning is clear, consistent & distinctive and champions the concept of Brand Equity in his/her brands
- Updates best practice based on Diageo/DWBB world class benchmarks and leads/champions the principles of consumer insights in his/her department.
- Utilizes data to anticipate competitive and consumer trends, assesses strategic implications, and optimizes business potential based on analysis and consolidates learning from marketing programs, identifies improved ways of working and champions their adoption within the business.
- Leads the development of communication objectives and advertising ideas for the brand by leading the client/agency relationship, and challenges the agency to ensure best possible output on the brand and demonstrating insight in judging creative material, with a clear understanding of brand values, consumer motivation and competitive context.
- Leads the development of sound packaging changes, which optimize the brand’s message and image. Assesses packaging through a clear understanding of brand values, consumer motivations and the competitive context.
- Demonstrates a fundamental understanding of promotional objectives/strategies. Challenges conventional approaches and thinking to develop better promotions.
- Leads the development of sound pricing strategies, which optimize brand financials as well as consumer off-take. Has a strategic understanding of short and long-term pricing impact. Guides the strategic management of pricing for the brand across different channels.
- Leads development of strategy for the brand. Is able to identify key trends for future areas of opportunity. Ability to effectively communicate key knowledge /insights across the business.
- Leads New Product Development as and when research calls for it to keep the brand vibrant and sensitive to changing consumer needs.
- Ensures brand’s Marketing Business Plans are prepared on time and are aggressive and focused enough to achieve Brand objectives in the year.
- Motivates Brand Managers to ensure excellence in quality of planning and execution, to achieve personal growth, and assist in their career planning and carries out succession planning.
- Monitors and controls Marketing budget to ensure attainment of objectives, within allocated spend.
- Ensures that the Milestone plans for the activities in the year are adhered to by convening a weekly action meeting where Brand Managers update the incumbent.
- Recommends marketing strategy and annual budgets and takes all core brands decisions within the agreed strategy and budgets.
- Ensure compliance with safety requirements at the work environment.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- A Bachelor of Commerce or related degree or MBA.
- Minimum of 7 years marketing experience in a FMCG environment, with 2 years people management experience.
- Experience in marketing management, development and execution of advertising strategies and price and margin management are required.
Barriers to Success in Role (Optional)
- Poor interpersonal skills/ people management
- Inexperienced with Stake holder management
- No Sales experience
Worker Type : Regular
Primary Location: Portbell Brewery
Job Posting Start Date : 2020-11-12-08:00