Provide specialist advise and support for day-to-day work, in order to execute predefined objectives as per agreed standard operating procedures (SOPs). Selecting this role has a compensation & benefit impact in Kenya, Uganda, Botswana, Mozambique, TZ (BBT), TZ (NBC). Please contact Reward for details.
Accountability: Sales to Retail customers with operational rigour and compliance with KYC requirements: (80%)
- Deliver exceptional sales performance by identifying and meeting customer needs through selling & cross selling of Bank’s card products.
- Provide direct “hands on” sales support (quality lead generation and Relationship management/effective follow up) to generate and convert quality leads into sales.
- Participate in sales campaigns to meet specific targets.
- Maintain own sales performance statistics for management information usage.
- Submit completed application forms of different products in line with Bank policies and requirements and submit to Team Leader for review
- Check correctness of each new merchant application form and all other customer documents
- Comply with general Operational risk & Rigour requirements e.g. Health & Safety standards and security of premises, KYC and anti-money laundering regulations
- Ensure accuracy of each new merchant application and all other customer documents. Merchant Support advisors are held personally accountable for accuracy and quality of these and supporting documents that they complete and submit
- Provide excellent customer service in line with Absa values
- Own customer queries and complaints around merchant applications and resolve in a timely manner. Escalate any unresolved queries, or queries not resolved in a short period of time to the Line Manager.
- Build relationships with internal service providers (Operations, Cooperate Credit team, the KYC Helpdesk and entire branch network) to ensure a quick turnaround time of escalated queries and complaints.
- Advise customers as soon as new merchant applications are approved and follow up to deployment stage
- Follow up on merchant leads provided by the branch network
- Share knowledge and experience with other colleagues on the team.
- Agree annual performance objectives with the Head of Agent banking, including specific sales targets.
- Pursue continued improvement in personal development by participating in development programmes and training preferred
“Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise-wide Risk Management Framework and internal Absa Policies and Policy Standards. Understand and manage risks and risk events (incidents) relevant to the role.”
Experience and Qualifications
- Good verbal and written communication
- Good selling / influencing skills
- Presentation skills
- Listening skills
Knowledge & Expertise:
- Education and Experience Required
- Based on market / country requirements
- Minimum of diploma OR equivalent
- Experience of competitor products sales advantage
- Communication and Interaction required:
- Staff in own area (manager, subordinates, colleagues)
- Staff outside own area
- Internal customers (other than staff in own area)
- External Customers
- Knowledge & Skills: (Maximum of 6)
- Basic knowledge of the bank’s products and services advantage
- Basic understanding of how the Bank operates advantage
- Knowledge of local banking policies and laws
- A Merchant Support advisor needs to match customer needs to product and service offerings provided by the Bank, recognize sales opportunities and carry-out-pro-active selling. They should have the ability to close a sale.
- Problem-solving around queries and complaints is largely prescribed.
- A good understanding of overall Retail goals & objectives, including the outlet’s objectives growth of sales, cost control and income contribution.
- A thorough understanding of the sales process
- A working knowledge of the procedure manuals
- A good working knowledge and understanding of relevant of legislation e.g KYC , Anti-Money laundering, banking code, service standards, health & safety standards etc.
- A thorough knowledge of the bank’s internal departments, systems & procedures as well as risk & rigour requirements.
- Some knowledge of competitor products and services offered to high net-worth customers.
Experience & Qualifications:
- First degree or diploma or relevant experience in a front-line banking sales/marketing/service environment.
- Role requires pro-active sales generation and the role holder will be required to spend a lot of time in the field making sales pitches to potential customers.
- Competitor product sales experience