Overview: This position is accountable to ensure effective monitoring, evaluation, research and learning across the IJM Uganda program. In the coming period, this will include the development of new monitoring systems according to industry and organizational best practice, the implementation of new data management systems and enhancement of MERL processes, in general, to meet the requirements of our new program strategy.
Key Result Areas (KRAs):
The success of this role is measured by the following KRAs:
- Effective systems for measurement of all strategy indicators are in place, functioning and able to provide leadership with timely updates on strategy progress.
- Effective systems for measurement of all project/program-level indicators are in place, functioning and able to provide management with updates on project/program progress.
- Monitoring, evaluation, assessments, and all related analysis occurs in a systematic and efficient manner to serve IJM’s reporting needs and to inform programmatic and strategic decision-making, and organizational learning.
- The overall effectiveness of the MERL function is served by effective information and knowledge management systems, including IJM’s JDS system.
- Research projects are effectively supported and/or led (as the case may be).
Roles and Responsibilities:
Development and oversight of MERL systems and processes
- Develop/update an organizational MERL policy, which guides overall MERL core requirements, processes, and information management systems for IJM Uganda.
- Ensure MERL policy is rolled out and that relevant staff are equipped with necessary MERL tools and capacity to implement it. This is particularly important as new projects are commenced.
- Undertake periodic, systematic monitoring of data collection (data quality audits) to ensure integrity of all monitoring data and processes.
Strategy & program design
- Provide expert advice into strategy, program and project design processes, particularly in terms of ensuring strong program logic and effective indicator selection.
Research and Learning
- Oversee the development and implementation of baseline, mid-line and end-line evaluations.
- Support and/or take the lead on any research work undertaken.
- Support and/or take the lead in facilitating organizational learning processes, including project/program reflection sessions.
Information and Knowledge Management
- Ensure all data is managed in an effective and efficient manner, including maximizing effectiveness of the JDS system.
- Develop and implement a knowledge management system to ensure strong retention of key documents and accessibility by all relevant staff.
Staff Supervision and Management
- Directly supervise of 2-4 MERL staff (depending on particular project requirements).
- Ensure all relevant staff have necessary capacity and awareness of processes to effectively contribute to MERL across the organization.
- Proactively participate in the senior programs team, which support the Director of Programs in providing leadership to the division.
- The MERL Manager reports to the Director of Programs.
The MERL, Manager will be accountable for the following;
- Collection of program and operations data for all IJM Uganda
- Maintenance of accurate data
- Trainings to staff on data collection, management, and communication
- Liaise with external stakeholders and auditors in their evaluations.
- Efficiency of data tracking systems.
Education & Experience:
- Master’s degree in social sciences, international development, evaluation, research, program management or another related field.
- Minimum of five years of successful experience in program monitoring, data management and/or evaluation – including any of:
a. Designing, managing, or monitoring a complex program.
b. Conducting data quality audits or quality assurance assessments.
c. Capturing, synthesizing, and analyzing qualitative and quantitative data.
d. Presenting program monitoring or quality assurance results effectively to stakeholders.
e. Training program staff on data management or monitoring issues.
f. Establishing an evaluation design.
- Exceptional ability in written and oral communications and presentation skills.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English and Luganda.
- Experience working cross-culturally.
- Knowledge of statistics and of common qualitative and quantitative methodologies preferred.
- Experience with statistical software and project management information systems preferred.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed.
- Analytical thinker
- Strong organization skills, with high level attention to detail
- Effective as a team player
- Self-starter with strong initiative
- Mature judgment and decision-making
- Proactive, creative problem-solver
- Flexible and productive under pressure
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities for the position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. All positions are required to perform any additional tasks assigned by the supervisor.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email their Application, CV and statement of faith to email@example.com. Applications should reach us not later than 5:00pm on 21st June 2021.
Only shortlisted Individuals shall be contacted.
**What is a statement of faith? A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship