Application deadline- 10 July 2022
Grade- Higher Executive Officer (HEO)
Type of Position- Fixed Term
Working hours per week- 34.5hrs
Duration of Post- 12 months
Location (City)- Kampala
Type of Post- British High Commission
Number of vacancies- 1
Salary- UGX 8,648,148.00 monthly
Start Date- 1 September 2022
End Date- 31 August 2023
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The Performance and Effectiveness Team (PET) is the hub within the British High Commission that works across all of our activity to ensure that we are delivering the most value from all of our spend, maintaining close alignment between activity and our strategy, and that we are compliant with the range of relevant rules within which we operate. The team works closely with three programme delivery teams (Growth, Prosperity and Climate; Political and Governance; Humanitarian and Human Development) and corporate services. There is a strong emphasis on cross-team and cross-mission working. Some of our work is reactive – responding to changes in the context and emerging priorities – team members are expected to be agile and prepared to adapt their focus as needed.
The role of monitoring and assurance officer is an interesting and challenging opportunity to deliver a high level of ambition on results, monitoring and assurance across the mission. This role provides a great opportunity to innovate and shape how FCDO understands programme delivery on the ground and uses that information to support decision making and delivery of BHC objectives. Monitoring and assurance activities include designing, supporting and delivering; programme data collection, data quality assessments, beneficiary feedback, finance and asset spot checks, safeguarding checks. The monitoring and assurance officer will also be at the centre of collecting, processing and presenting data for use across BHC Kampala and within FCDO.
At the same time as building our monitoring of programmes in the field, BHC Kampala is working to develop approaches to monitor and assess engagement, influence and delivery across all FCDO work in Uganda. The monitoring and assurance officer will also work across PET and delivery teams to build capacity for monitoring and assurance across the office.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic team. The jobholder will develop a full understanding of all the programmes under our portfolio, engage with beneficiaries through field visits and bring in innovative ways of how we can best monitor and evaluate the work we do. There will also be opportunities to engage with other stakeholders at post, including government, civil society organisations and development partners (M&E working group).
In this role, you will be responsible and accountable for:
- Driving Monitoring and Assurance across the Mission: managing a cross mission monitoring and assurance process that includes: maintaining information on all programme monitoring and assurance work across the mission, providing strategic guidance and input on targeting monitoring and assurance activities to ensure the best possible information is collected and that monitoring and assurance are driven by risk and needs, supporting and joining monitoring visits, developing tools and guidance for monitoring and assurance activities , ensuring that information generated is to a high quality, and, generating reports for use by Senior Leadership, policy and programme teams.
- Building capacity of staff across the Mission to ensure they have the necessary skills on use of data, evidence, and learning including dissemination and presenting data.
- Support programme teams and programme providers with technical advise, support and capacity building across all aspects of monitoring, assurance, data collection and data processing.
- Working with the Results Advisor to develop methods for measuring and reporting influence, engagement and whole of mission activities, and to ensure that programme results are provided as part of monitoring against BHC Kampala objectives.
- Support the Results Advisor to ensure programme results are captured and reported for central FCDO reporting processes.
- Working with the communications team to ensure that results and field visits are used for collecting and disseminating communications messages.
- Having an overview of all Centrally Managed Programmes working on Monitoring and Evaluation in country, acting as the Country Point of Contact and linking them to sector/policy teams within BHC Kampala as required.
- Working with the Compliance Officer in providing assurance that all programmes are compliant and in line with the rules and procedures of the FCDO.
- Building relationships with key Government Interlocutors on Monitoring and Evaluation, including Office of the Prime Minister’s Monitoring and Evaluation Department, Uganda Bureau of Statistics and Civil Society Organisations to understand how evidence is used in decision making.
- Playing an active role in the wider High Commission through a corporate contribution, for example active membership of a committee.
Technical competencies linked to the position include:
- Technical competency 1: Acquiring data and understanding customer needs
- Technical competency 2: Data analysis
- Technical competency 3: Presenting and disseminating data effectively
More information on the technical framework can be found here: 2021 GSG Competency Framework (ODT, 24KB).
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- Experience in monitoring of programmes, including field visits and managing logistics for visits
- Experience managing, analysing and presenting data through tools such as excel, power bi or R
- Experience working across organisations and with other stakeholders to direct collective effort.
- Knowledge of a range of monitoring, statistical and evaluation tools, techniques and methods.
- Experience developing innovative and effective monitoring and measurement approaches to meet customer needs