Under the overall supervision of the Representative and direct supervision of the unit head, the intern will support Uganda Country office in the areas of the following areas based on expertise and knowledge Integrated Sexual Reproductive Health (ISRH), Population Dynamics, Youth, Gender and Human Rights, Communications, Partnerships, and Innovation and Operations (Finance, Human Resources, Procurement, Administration, ICT).
A work-plan with achievements for the duration of the Internship and learning opportunities will be agreed upon. Periodic progress meetings will lead to a beneficial environment for the Intern enhancing her/his skills and capacity in areas related to UNFPA’s mandate
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
You may also like :
- United Nations recruitment 2023/2024 Online application form
- IOM Recruitment 2023/2024 : Online application
- Coca-Cola Recruitment 2023/2024 : Online application
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
As an intern you would be responsible for any of the following areas based on your application and qualifications:
Integrated Sexual Reproductive Health (ISRH)
- Contributes to the preparation of projects and programmes in the unit and with IPs
- Assists in the coordination between the various units and projects developing or working on Sexual Reproductive Health Issues.
- participate in the identification, systematization and reporting of good/promising practices and lessons learnt on SRH Issues.
- Support the programme team in the Country Programme development process, including liaising with consultants and stakeholders to deliver results as planned.
- Gather, compile and analyses information in the subject areas of UNFPA assistance to the Government, drafting project documents and work plans and preparing tables and statistical data.
- Assist in the coordination/submission of substantive reporting.
- Provide regular updates in terms of Country Programme development including programme outputs and performance against indicators.
- Provide and present monitoring reports to the programme team on specific areas as required.
- Contribute to ensuring compliance of programmes/projects with organizational guidelines, as well as with audits and evaluation findings, by benchmarking programme and project performance and transmitting this information to the output managers for corrective action.
- Contribute to the evaluation of project and programme activities, establishing and implementing mechanisms to systematically assess the achievement of results, conducting field visits, participating in review meetings and evaluation missions and preparing regular inputs to status and progress reports
- Assist in reviewing and analysing country programme substantive achievements in SRH including performance trends and providing feedback to the Country Office and Regional Office (when necessary).
- Facilitate the monitoring of the overall SRH expenditure targets for the country programme in accordance with UNFPA’s global resource allocation system, annual guidelines and AWPs.
- Participate in the review and analyze past and current expenditures including trends in pattern of resource allocation in order to prepare recommendations and proposals for distribution of income and utilisation of resources in the Country Office.
- Support the process of collecting, systematizing, and disseminating knowledge products.
- Provide support to the programme team on documentation, publishing and dissemination of good practice and lessons learned.
- Liaise with resource mobilization and communication units to make sure that knowledge products are well used to serve communication and resource mobilization efforts.
- Support implementation, monitoring and reporting of the progress on the Demographic Dividend. Specifically, provide technical support in generating evidence at national and subnational level to inform planning and budgeting.
- Participate in the organization and planning of national symposium on demographic dividend.
- Prepare/update district population profiles and support data visualization at district level to support planning processes.
- Support capacity development of district planners on budgeting process to ensure sexual and reproductive health, gender based violence prevention/ response and demographic dividend are well articulated in the district plans and budgets.
- Provide technical support on demographic dividend compliance assessment both at national and subnational level and identify areas for advocacy.
- Support the ICPD@30/AADPD+10 review process
- Participate in national and district meetings for Data and Population Dynamics as may be assigned on with supervisor
Youth, Gender and Human Rights
- Participate in the preparation of the CO programme and project proposals by compiling and analyzing information on Gender and Youth Development issues,, compiling project documents and work plans and preparing tables and statistical data.
- Contributes to the preparation of projects and programmes in the unit and with IPs
- Works with IPs on promotion of effective community participation in Programme planning and implementation on matters of Gender and Youth Development;
- Assists IPs and community volunteers to understand Programme objectives and provides inputs for local Programme components in accordance with agreed upon procedures;
- Facilitates the participation of targeted groups in community planning events to represent community needs and ideas in relation to Gender and Youth Development.
- Provides support to build capacity of local NGOs, service providers and volunteers and other key partners in the Gender and Youth Development sector and supports follow up actions;
- Assists in the coordination between the various units and projects developing or working on Gender and Youth Issues to ensure proper mainstreaming.
- Assists to the identification, systematization and reporting of good/promising practices and lessons learnt on Gender and Youth Issues.
- support with IPs on the timely submission of projects and financial reports on projects, including the review and finalization of inputs on reports;
- Assists IPs in preparing request of Fund Authorization and Certificate of Expenditures (FACE) and follows up on implementing procedures with the IPs to ensure timely submission of all financial and progress reports.
- Assists in monitoring projects’ expenditures and disbursements to ensure delivery is in line with approved budgets and to realize targeted delivery levels;
Communications and Partnerships:
- Support and participate in planning and implementation of key events including visibility, branding and exhibitions including preparation of materials and content for major activities, launches, and media outreaches.
- Support the implementation of the country office’s partnerships and resource mobilization strategy including compiling donor intelligence and ensuring templates for proposals are prepared and finalized.
- Participate in the development and design of materials (print, audio, video) and maintain an online database of materials for use on the various platforms.
- Contribute to photo documentation covering UNFPA activities.
- Contribute to writing success stories for the CO website.
- Support creation of new opportunities for UNFPA to expand its social media outreach by identifying social media influencers, bloggers etc that will be engaged on UNFPA mandate issues
- Provide other support and assistance as required.
- Participate in the identification of new innovation opportunities using best practices, programme implementation and research.
- Contribute to the design and establishment of innovation processes and projects.
- Participate in the promotion of the value of innovation to staff, implementing partners and all stakeholders.
- Participate in innovation processes, identifying problems and sourcing for innovative solutions.
- Contribute to the mapping out of existing innovation and innovative approach (e.g. m/e health, e-training, use of social media) including in the private sector to inform UNFPA’s work.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the Country Office Innovation strategy.
- Participate to the development innovative concepts for new products, tools and resource mobilization for a more vibrant and innovative approach towards communicating results and achievements, and assist country offices in the implementation of innovative prototypes.
- Participate in planning, management, monitoring and evaluation of innovation projects including tracking programme progress against set results, generating and managing information products from these processes for sharing;
- Link and network innovators to potential partners for up scaling and implementation
- Develop factsheets, abstracts, posters, briefs and others
- Participate in Financial resources management through planning, guiding, controlling of the resources in accordance with UNFPA rules and regulations.
- Contribute to preparation and monitoring of budgets of management projects.
- Participate in establishment of the development projects’ budgets preparation/modification monitoring system, control of budgetary status versus authorized spending limits (ASL) and budgets delivery levels.
- Elaboration of proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management.
- Support financial analysis and ensure all resources are managed by the CO and provision of high-quality professional advice to the CO management.
- Contribute to timely production of accurate donor reports.
- Participate in the continuous analysis and monitoring of the CO’s financial situation, and preparation of regular updates on the status of financial resources.
- Ensure full compliance, of financial activities, financial recording/reporting systems with UNFPA’s rules, regulations, policies and strategies; proper design and functioning of the financial resources management.
- Adapt processes and procedures to maximize effectiveness and efficiency in financial operations and management.
- Participate in the follow up on implementation of audit recommendations.
- Participate in Recruitment and Placement – Records and maintains recruitment files, ensuring all necessary documentation has been prepared and filed.
- Supporting in individual contract and management- Prepares manual offers and contracts for individual consultants ensuring that all the requested documents are completed and filed.
- Participate in learning & development activities – maintaining completion status reports for mandatory training and following up with staff to ensure that the documents are on file.
- Support on-boarding – Drafting offer and appointment letters, introduction of new staff to different offices, preparing the orientation package, ensuring that all staff have submitted the required on boarding documents.
- Support in drafting and responding to routine queries from staff and offices concerning a range of standard Human Resource matters, special reports, evaluations and justifications required on general HR administration or specialized tasks that are of confidential nature within assigned area of responsibility.
- Participate in reviewing and updating the list of staff and dependents.
- Contribute to proper administration of staff entitlements.
- Support staff separation processes, ensuring the checkout forms are received on time.
- Filling of all HR function documents.
- Support procurement in the Country Office and for all Field Offices.
- Provide procurement information support, within the relevant corporate information system modules, to all staff.
- Participate in the review of procurement requests in a transparent and cost-effective manner; recommends procurement decision when appropriate.
- Participate in an effective procurement recording and reporting system, internal controls and audit follow-up. Ensures the correct and up-to-date filing of all procurement information.
- Support the provision and maintenance of services and supplies following-up processes and maintaining up-to-date inventory and records.
- Support in the maintenance of up-to-date and complete records, documentation and filing of all procurement processes.
- Contribute to the completion of service provider evaluations and conducts follow-up actions where necessary.
- Contribute to the preparation periodic and ad hoc reports on procurement issues.
- Support the dispatching function for the Country Office and Field Offices and advising staff when procured goods arrive.
- Participate in the procurement transactions in an accurate and timely manner.
- Contribute to repair and maintenance of office premises and equipment.
- Support in ensuring that the office premises are clean.
- Carry out spot checks on the premises to ensure hygiene SOPs and availability of all the cleaning materials.
- Ensure the office electrical appliances are in good working condition at all times.
- Check electrical installations (bulbs, sockets and fluorescent tubes) in offices, security and gate house, inform the office maintenance vendor for repairs/replacements whenever need arises.
- Receive and issue office stationery, ensuring appropriate stock levels and replenishments.
- Liaise with field office for replenishment of stationery items and PPEs.
- Check with security at the gate the function of the temperature guns and send for routing recalibration.
- Ensure proper arrangement of documents archived.
- Sorting documents due for disposal following the disposal policy and procedures.
- Check with field offices for any documents to be archived or disposed off.
- Supporting the implementation of ICT management systems and strategies; complying with corporate information technology standards for the CO, supporting the use of Enterprise Resource Planning systems for improved business results and improved client services;
- Ensure that Back-up procedures are followed and all data is safe. Both Online and Offline back-ups should be well and maintained. This includes back-up on Cloud and local storage.
- Participate in the management of the Local Area Network and related infrastructure consisting of the Access Control, CCTV system, intrusion system, firewalls, telephone and printing management system in line with UN/UNFPA policies, standards and procedures.
- Work with IT services provider(s)/ vendors to ensure the LAN is properly maintained and good practices of the UNFPA Policy are followed.
- Work with IT services providers to proactively advise on the regular maintenance and possible improvement of ICT services.
- Maintenance of up-to-date ICT inventory device and software allocation list all relevant documentation.
- Provide timely IT support user support to all staff at the country office field locations.
Qualifications and Experience:
Applicants to UNFPA’s internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a first university degree programme (such as bachelor’s degree or equivalent) and have completed one full academic year;
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate degree programme (such as master’s programme or higher);
- Have recently graduated with a university degree as defined above and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation; or
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional trainee programme and undertake the internship as part of this programme.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Some experience in working with development agencies, including in volunteer capacity.
- Strong analytical and writing skills.
- Initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members from different national and cultural backgrounds.
Fluency in English. Knowledge of other languages is an asset
Upon completion of the assignment, and depending on its duration, the Intern will gain the following knowledge assets:
- Increased understanding of the UNFPA and the Programme Division within UNFPA
- Understand the UNFPA mandate and policies, including regional set-up.
- Understand and familiarize with UNFPA Governance and Executive Board.
- Understand UNFPA programme design and delivery mechanisms.
- Understand the dynamics of operational and programme support and communications to the field, and at the level of HQ.
- Learn UN technical language, working procedures, and coordination mechanisms.
- Write and formulate substantive documents.
- Network with UN colleagues
- Work experience as a team member in a multicultural setting
Interns do not receive a salary or any other form of remuneration from UNFPA. The costs associated with an intern’s participation in the programme must be assumed either by the nominating institution, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students, or by the students themselves, who will have to meet living expenses as well as make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel and other requirements. However, they receive a stipend to help cover basic daily expenses related to the internship, if not financially supported by any institution or programme, such as a university, government, foundation, or scholarship programme. The amount of the stipend varies according to the duty station. In addition, applicants must have medical insurance for the duration of the internship. Proof of insurance will need to be submitted before the internship begins. UNFPA does not provide medical insurance for interns.
Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
Embracing cultural diversity,
Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
Thinking analytically and strategically,
Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,