Windle International Uganda (WIU) formerly Windle Trust Uganda is a registered INGO whose mission is to promote peace and development in communities through provision and coordination of Education and training for Refugees and people affected by conflict.
With funding from the COH (Convoy of Hope), WIU is implementing the School Feeding Project targeting children in Early Childhood Development (ECD) classes with the aim of increasing learning and attendance at ECD Centers.
The project is also enhancing nutrition and child health and decreasing morbidity for the ECD learners.
The project is being implemented in Palorinya, Imvepi and Rhino Camp Refugee Settlements across The West Nile Region of Uganda. WIU therefore seeks to recruit a suitably qualified person to support the project in the following position:
POSITION TITLE: NUTRITIONIST
REPORTS TO: THE REGIONAL PROGRAM COORDINATOR
DUTY STATION: Arua Regional Office
A. JOB PURPOSE:
This position is responsible for assessing, planning and implementing the School Feeding program to enhance the impact of food and nutrition on the health of the learners.
He/She will assess the nutritional value of the food provided and its impact on the beneficiaries’ general health.
This will involve collection and analysis of related data as well as community engagements to sensitize communities about nutrition.
1. Conduct periodic monitoring of the children feeding initiative in all target primary schools
2. File quarterly data sheet with beneficiary weights and measurements for submission to the donor.
3. Compile and assess data relating to health and nutritional status of learners based on nutritional values of food served or consumed
4. Plan and conduct nutrition assessments, intervention programmes, and education and training to improve nutritional levels and communities generally
5. Work with Field teams to ensure that stored foods are safe and free from contamination and theft and that the store is clean at all times
6. Coordinate with health partners and facilities to provide learners with nutrition supplements and deworming services
7. Developing and evaluating food and nutrition products to meet nutritional requirements
8. Supporting the supervision of preparation and serving of meals, and monitoring food intake and quality by the learners.
9. Develop Guidelines and procedures for the Schools’ implementation of the project
10. Participate in project planning, including developing work plans, submitting funds requests, procurement of project supplies and equipment and development of activity budgets.
11. Prepare periodical reports (weekly and quarterly): update indicators, achievements, activities and results according to the project log frame.
12. Provide input and support on the development of learning documents including learning reviews, success stories, stories of change.
13. Participate in community sensitization and stakeholder meetings to explain project objectives and keep them appraised of project(s) activities being implemented in the target area.
C. ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES
S/he must possess a Diploma or Bachelors Degree in Human Nutrition or Dietetics studies from a recognized institution.
Must have at least 2 years of related experience with field work in a health and nutrition implementation project implementation (provide adequate details in resume)
Knowledge and Skills:
- Concern for Quality and Standards
- Ethics and Integrity
- Strong analytical and conceptual thinking skills; able to understand complex issues and translate them into simple, workable actions and plans
- Excellent report-writing and data interpretation skills
- Must be result-oriented
- Intercultural and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work under strict deadlines: high caliber time management competency
- Ability to adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through
- Ability to work creatively, effectively and in an innovative manner