Host Entity- UNICEF
Duty Station-Kampala (UGA)
Language Skills- English
Start Date- Immediate
Duration- 12 months with possibility of extension
Application Deadline- 27 November 2020
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Partnership Specialist (Private Sector) within the Communication, Advocacy and Partnerships team and is situated in the national Kampala office of the Uganda Country Office, the national UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
The Partnership Associate will work with the supervisor and the Chief Communication to (1) deepen and expand UNICEF’s engagements with the private sector and tap into its core businesses and expertise with a view to accelerate results for children; (2) raise awareness among corporate actors on child rights and the need for businesses to respect and support children’s rights in their operations and value chains; (3) engage partners and actors in the business sector to explore innovative financing in support of children ‘s agenda; and (4) strengthen UNICEF staff capacity to effectively engage with the business sector in line with the UNICEF Programme Guidance on Engagement with Business.
To make a difference, the incumbent shall be supporting with the following key functions, accountabilities and related duties/ tasks;
- Integrate the analyzis of private sector, including business into the situation analyzis of children in Uganda and look at how children’s rights deprivations can be significantly influenced by business practices
- Research and identify potential private sector partners including non-financial private sector engagements in support of UNICEF Uganda country programme objectives
- Map the roles and responsibilities, and the opportunities of the private sector partners and engagements to support the delivery of UNICEF’s programme and advocacy objectives, in conjunction with programme sections
- Work closely with programme sections to support the development and maintenance of strategic shared-value partnerships with the business sector that can contribute to acceleration of results for children
Child Rights in Business Principles
- Engage with corporate entities towards building commitment among the national business sector to respecting and supporting children’s rights and cultivate strategic partnerships with corporate and non-technical support infrastructure for companies that undertake to implement the UNICEF/global compact on Child Rights in Business Principles (CRBP).
- Advocate and engage with the Government for the implementation of the CRBP regarding the impact of the business sector on children’s rights, through policy-setting, law reform, regulation, administration, and enforcement, in collaboration with Programme sections.
Innovative Development Financing:
- Engage with potential partner organizations/entities to gauge their interest and cultivate partnerships to leverage innovative financing, including blended financing and impact bonds, to deliver results for children as per the Skilling Youth for Early Childhood Development pilot project design.
Staff Capacity in Business For Result (B4R):
- Strengthen UCO staff capacity to engage with the business sector in line with the UNICEF Programme Guidance on Engagement with Business.
- In close collaboration with the UNICEF Regional Office in Kenya, support the Uganda Country Office with the roll out of Business for Results workshop and the design and implementation of the consequent workplan.
Planning, monitoring and documentation
- Provide support to the Office’s private sector engagement strategy, annual workplans, periodic updates and other documentation and guidance as needed: Ensure that the elaboration of strategy paper and annual work plan is timely executed and followed up to support country programme priorities in line with regional and global directives.
- Internal Communication, Knowledge Management and Documentation: tracking and documenting of internal needs for potential corporate engagement initiatives and innovations. Facilitate documentation and sharing of lessons best practices as part of building organisations capacity on policy and programme delivery.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
- An advanced university degree is required in one of the following fields: international relations, political science, communications, international development, or another relevant technical field.
Required experience: 48 Months
- A minimum of four to five yearsof relevant professional experience in one or more of the following areas is required: public affairs, private sector partnership management, programme management, resource mobilization, external relations, or other relevant area.
- Familiarity with engagement with the private / business sector and or international financial institutions is an asset.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Other finance, economics and administration related experience, Resource mobilization, partnership and donor coordination
Driving license: No
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call for to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 27-11-2020