Title: Product Development Officer (PD Officer)
Reporting: Product Development Team Leader
Available Vacancies: 3
Application opening: 25 March 2022
Application Deadline: 8 April 2022
Tugende uses asset finance, technology, and a customer-centric model to help informal sector entrepreneurs dramatically increase their economic trajectory. Tugende’s core asset finance packages include medical and life insurance, training, safety equipment and digital credit profiles in addition to affordable asset financing for SMEs. By helping clients grow economically and build digital track records of responsibility, we are creating a long-term ecosystem for MSMEs to grow and thrive. Tugende has financed 52,000+ productive asset leases valued at over USD 35 million. The company has 750+ employees serving clients across 23 branches in Uganda and 5 in Kenya.
About this role
The PD Officer will work in the Commercial Department under the product development function, and he/she will be primarily responsible for conducting in-field market research for new high-potential products and services as defined by the company’s product development strategy.
Key duties to be performed
The job holder will perform the following duties:
- Prepare detailed new product research proposals
- Conduct in-field market research for new high-potential products and services of the company’s priority sectors and evaluate clients’ needs.
- Lead the Marketing and sales of the new products still under development
- Recommend approval or rejection of loan applications
- Identify and submit a pool of potential product suppliers and service providers for pilot products to the Senior PD Officer to review.
- For products that will be mainstreamed i.e. post-pilot phase, prepare and conduct new product training to responsible Branch Operations staff. Ensure that the Branch Operations staff can sustainably manage new products and services and achieve the company’s annual / quarterly / monthly / weekly targets.
- Actively seek out new product opportunities across all Branches.
- Set up meetings with potential clients to gather feedback and share with internal stakeholders.
- Act as the contact person for all new product and service inquiries and coordinate with the product development function, and the Marketing Department to manage new client/product pipeline across all Branches.
- Ensure client information in systems is 100% accurate at all times. Ensure that data is collected is properly administered
- Identify and recommend different locations where different products and services can be piloted.
- Support the Marketing Department to implement the identified marketing plan across all relevant Branches.
- Complete related documents
- Respond to applicants and resolve any product related issues
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Education, Knowledge and Work experience
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Business Administration, Marketing, or any other business-related courses.
- At least 1 years experience in Sales and Marketing of loan products, Field Work and Google Suite.
- Experience or exposure to the fisheries, retail and agricultural industries will be an added advantage.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to Ride a motorcycle
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of G-suite computer application
- Good time management and ability to work to multiple deadlines
- Ability to interact effectively with senior management and staff at all levels
- Accuracy and good attention to detail
- Thorough understanding of marketing and negotiating techniques
- Fast learner and passion for sales
- Self-starter who can work independently when required
- Be creative, inspiring and innovative.
- Confident and assertive.
- Good verbal and written communication.
- Adaptable and able to effectively manage change.
What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: This is a role with a significant leadership potential to grow as the company operations grow. Someone who does this job can be promoted to: Senior Product Development Officer, Product Development Team Leader, Product Development Coordinator with a possibility of crossing to other Operations functions.
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the opportunity to earn a better living for themselves and their families. We are changing East Africa’s asset-finance industry by building a sustainable business that ignites financial inclusion and development. Join this movement!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of ~750 employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our customers. Our headquarters are in Kampala, Uganda and we are rapidly expanding in East Africa.
Hours and compensation: This position is for an ambitious, full-time employee who will take on additional responsibilities and projects as they arise. Tugende offers competitive salaries and benefits that reflect a person’s contributions to the company’s mission and growth.