Pepal is a dynamic and bold organisation with big ambitions. We bring together global corporations, NGOs and governments to develop leaders and find practical solutions to challenging social issues. Pepal’s approach, which places cross sectoral collaboration and leadership at its heart, is ever more important in driving scalable, innovative and cost-effective solutions to complex issues at the heart of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Today, Pepal has operations in Uganda, Tanzania and India.
As a Programme Manager you will lead the Uganda based programmes including the ‘Waamu Innovation and Leadership Programme’ and our programme focusing on improving youth employment opportunities in coffee farming communities with Pepal’s newest corporate client, who are one of the world’s leading food and beverage companies. You will manage a small team, deliver excellence, and build and maintain relationships with Pepal’s corporate clients, NGO, government partners and donor agencies in Uganda. you will report to the Executive Director and be a member of the Pepal Senior Management Team. Key responsibilities include:
Design and Deliver Leadership and Social Impact Programmes:
– Design, in collaboration with the Programme Team and leadership faculty, programmes which both achieve social impact and provide a rich environment for leadership learning.
– Develop detailed plans for each programme including location selection, participant selection and project focus.
– Deliver the programmes, online and off-line, facilitating engaging sessions.
– Ensure that systems and processes are in place, documented and followed, so that the team delivers consistently high-quality work.
– Ensure the safety and wellbeing of programme participants.
Achieve Social Change:
– Ensure the social impact projects progress and that partner and participant expectations are managed and fulfilled.
– Build on the success of Pepal’s social impact initiatives to drive social change in collaboration with key NGO and govnerment partners.
– Identify priorities and critical gaps and develop funding proposals as appropriate.
Develop and Manage Partnerships:
– Develop and maintain excellent relationships with Pepal’s local and international partners, including corporate clients.
– Proactively develop NGO, and other partnerships, in Uganda.
Manage People and the Branch Office:
– Manage Pepal staff in Uganda, supporting individual team members to gain skills and confidence.
– Plan resources and manage budgets to maximise efficiency and effectiveness.
– Serve as the Branch Manager, representing Pepal in Uganda on all administrative matters.
– Promote a culture of innovation and continuous learning.
Evaluate, Learn and Communicate:
– Ensure Pepal continues to be a learning organisation that rigorously evaluates its programmes; ensure lessons are captured, communicated and acted on.
– Generate evidence, stories and case studies highlighting programme impact.
– Develop and deliver a communications strategy to demonstrate impact to exernal audiences.
Support Strategy and Planning:
– Contribute to the growth and strategic direction of Pepal.
– Support of the Executive Director develop plans and the strategic direction for programmes, projects and social change areas.
The position is based in Kampala, Uganda, with some travel.
We are looking for a strategic thinker with experience of delivering complex projects across cultures. The candidate will love facilitating sessions and be committed to leadership development. They will be comfortable being hands-on, and flexible in their approach, to achieve results in a fast-changing external environment. We are looking for a minimum of five years experience and a good academic degree and knowledge and experience of:
– working with government and NGO stakeholders, ideally in East Africa.
– international development, charity or public sector.
– programme management, including budget and financial management.
– quantitative and qualitative evaluation of social impact programmes.
– designing and delivering training programmes or facilitating workshops (on and offline).
– working in a small, dynamic and geographically dispersed organisation.
Candidates should demonstrate the following personal qualities:
– able to lead complex programmes with excellent attention to detail, organisational skills and the ability to prioritise.
– excellent at building capacity in people.
– outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, with an aptitude for building and sustaining strong relationships with diverse groups of people.
– a natural collaborator, partnership-builder, and problem solver, with passion for change.
– a positive and entrepreneurial outlook, with an ability to create and develop opportunities.
– a strong belief that leadership matters and can be a key driver of social change.
– fluent written and spoken English.
– eager to engage with large corporate partners.
How to Apply
apply at https://www.pepal.org/work-with-us