Employer: Village Enterprise
Industry: Nonprofit/International Development/Social Entrepreneurship
Job Title: Project Director – DREAMS for Refugees
Contract: Full Time, 2 years with opportunity to extend
Reports to: Vice President, Africa Operations (with dotted line to Chief Scaling Officer)
Direct Reports: Two Regional Managers (one based in West Nile, one based in Dollo Ado)
Matrix Reports: Ethiopia Country Director (based in Addis), Advocacy position (based in Washington DC), Mercy Corps’ DREAMS staff (based in Uganda and Ethiopia)
Village Enterprise’s mission is to end extreme poverty through innovation and entrepreneurship. We implement a ‘poverty graduation’ program which combines targeting, savings groups, training, mentoring, and seed capital grants to support people living in extreme poverty to establish successful microenterprises. Over the next three years, we plan to almost triple the number of people we serve (from 18,000/year to 44,000/year) and expand into new countries.
About the Job:
In July 2021, Village Enterprise will begin the implementation of ‘Delivering Resilient Enterprises and Market Systems’ – or ‘DREAMS for Refugees’. This is a five-year project with a budget of $10M+ that seeks to support refugees in West Nile (Uganda) and Dollo Ado (Ethiopia) to set up sustainable enterprises that reduce their dependence on food assistance.
DREAMS is a consortium consisting of Village Enterprise (the ‘Prime’), Mercy Corps, and IDinsight as the evaluation partner. The Project Director will be responsible for ensuring high quality implementation and impact across Village Enterprise’s delivery, and accountable for Mercy Corps and IDinsight’s deliverables. S/he will represent the consortium on global and national platforms, as well ensure excellent project management. Village Enterprise prides itself on supportive, positive management, and the Project Director is core to this culture within Village Enterprise.
- Consortium coordination and oversight
- Provide high-level leadership for the consortium, including developing, implementing, and tracking an annual operations plan for DREAMS.
- Conduct regular quality control visits to program implementation regions to identify areas for potential changes or course corrections, and share out key findings with the DREAMS consortium.
- Project Management of the graduation component
- Provide oversight, technical direction, and implementation of strategies and interventions as desired for the poverty graduation component in both countries.
- Design, deliver, and track progress against agreed targets of the project.
- Ensure the timely and quality completion of all Village Enterprise technical and financial deliverables and reports in accordance with DREAMS’ donors’ guidelines.
- Human resources and administration
- Spearhead the culture and necessary systems across the whole consortium that ensures completion of activities, scaling of the program, delivery of outcomes, and meeting goals.
- Provide ongoing management and mentorship to staff, including regular feedback, performance appraisals, staff development and other management issues.
- Financial oversight and control
- Oversee financial and administrative management of the programme at consortium level, ensuring compliance with VE and donor rules and regulations.
- Design, develop, and adhere to annual budgets.
- Ensure compliance with the country governments on registration, tax and reporting to the different stakeholders.
- Monitoring and evaluation and external evaluation support (internal Village Enterprise M&E team and an external evaluation partner)
- Support to Village Enterprise M&E team in internal monitoring and evaluation.
- Represent DREAMS on national, regional, and global platforms, and build and grow relationships with key actors in the refugee sector
- Serve as a liaison with and build effective working relationships with Project Partners, relevant Government authorities, local partners, and communities.
- Foster partnerships in the humanitarian community at local, national, regional, and global level, including participating in and sharing evidence with national, regional, and global working groups.
- Embody VE’s philosophy that ‘Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility, and it begins with me’.
- Communicate and uphold VE safeguarding standards across DREAMS for all field employees, partners and program participants.
- Report any incident of safeguarding in program operations for appropriate action/follow up.
- Support in investigations and input as required during safeguarding disciplinary processes.
Experience and Qualifications:
- 5+ years’ managing complex projects with large budgets (i.e. $8M+), preferably involving multiple consortium members.
- 3+ years’ experience working with refugees, preferably in either Uganda and/or Ethiopia.
- Experience in senior leadership (e.g. Country Director, Head of Programmes etc)
- Experience in leading projects that span multiple countries.
- Experience representing organisations/projects on a global stage, including presenting at meetings/conferences, attending working groups, and building relationships.
- An in-depth understanding of the challenges/opportunities refugees living in extreme poverty face.
- The educational background that has created a base of understanding to be applied in the role. This will be a combination of university level degrees and a background in strategic management.
- Professional experience which demonstrates excellent performance and the ability to excel in the Project Director Role.
This is a locally recruited position and the candidate must have the legal right to work in Uganda.
Please apply through our application portal at this link: https://villageenterprise.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=49
Your cover letter should explain why your experience and background make you the ideal candidate for this position, and should be no more than one page.
Note: Please do not contact Village Enterprise to enquire as to the status of your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted through October 8th, 2021.
Village Enterprise will provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. Employment decisions at Village will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. Village does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, age, disability, marital status or any other characteristic protected by the law. Village will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in undue hardship to daily operations.