ActionAid is an International Development Agency working in over 50 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. ActionAid Uganda’s mission is to achieve social Justice, gender equality, and poverty eradication by working with people living in extreme poverty and exclusion, their communities, people’s organisations, activists, social movements and their supporters.
AAIU is implementing the UNFPA FGM Project in phases since 2019. The project is engaging different actors, communities, and stakeholders towards influencing positive social norm change, and gender transformation in Eastern Uganda. This is intended to contribute to shifting the invisible and hidden power that resides in regressive cultural and social norms, beliefs that perpetuate harmful practices such as FGM and gender-based violence especially against women and girls. The respective staff will; plan, implement, monitor, and report on all the activities implemented UNFPA FGM Project in Karamoja Region (Amudat, Nakapipiriti and Moroto). The project officer will take lead to build networks, create linkages, and collectively work with other partners, stakeholders at district and national level, and community formations to achieve social norm change to end FGM/C and violence against women and girls in Uganda.
ActionAid Uganda with funding from UNFPA therefore, seeks to recruit a suitably qualified, self-driven, result-oriented, dynamic and competent person to fill the position of Project Officer – Amudat (1) Initial contract is 1 (one) year with possible renewal or extension.
Job Title: UNFPA Project Officer-FGM/C
Reports to: Field Program Coordinator – Eastern Region
Responsible for: None
Directorate : Programmes and Fundraising Manager
Location : Amudat
The project officer will take lead to build networks, create linkages and collectively work with other partners, stakeholders at district and national level, and community formations to achieve social norm change to end FGM/C and violence against women and girls in Amudat, Nakapirpirit and Moroto).
Key Result Areas:
1. Plan, Implement, monitor, evaluate, and report on project activities within the project area in accordance with the UNFPA work plans and AAIU policies.
2. Strengthen and build the capacity of district stakeholders, grassroot community formations and partners on evidence- based advocacy to advance reproductive rights, prevention of GBV and harmful traditional practices.
3. Promote UNFPA and AAIU image and provide technical support to partners, project participants and stakeholders in line with the Organizational mission vision, and values.
4. Mobilize communities and facilitate their initiatives to challenge FGM/C and SGBV against women and girls.
5. Participate in the identification of funding gaps and resource mobilization to meet the funding gaps within the project focus area.
Person Specifications: Qualifications:
1. A Bachelor’s Degree in Development Studies or Social Sciences from a recognized institution.
2. Post Graduate diploma is an added advantage.
1. A minimum of three years of similar work experience in a reputable organization, preferably an NGO.
2. Demonstrated experience of at least two years in any one of the thematic areas of the fifth country strategy paper.
Planning and Budgeting skills, Transformative leadership abilities, Ability to conduct feminist analysis, Ability to use human rights-based approaches, Capacity building skills, Good Communication and Interpersonal Skills, Community mobilization and facilitation skills, Team player, Confidence, openness and willingness to learn, Self- driven with ambition to transform communities and persons living in extreme poverty, Ability to ride motorcycle and work in community setting, Demonstrated understanding of poverty analysis, Ability to establish critical working relationships, Ability to promote and safeguard AAU policies, Ability to conduct power analysis.
NB: The ability to speak and understand the local languages of Pokot and Karamojong is MUST.
How to apply
Applications (Cover letter, CV, and certified academic documents as ONE DOCUMENT) sent by email to Vacancies.Uganda@actionaid.org clearly addressed to The Finance and Operations Manager, ActionAid Uganda, Plot number 2514/2515 Ggaba Road, Opposite Kampala International University P.O Box 676 Kampala not later than Friday 27th January 2023 by 5:00 pm. We will respond to ONLY shortlisted candidates.
Whilst all applications will be assessed strictly on their individual merits, qualified WOMEN are especially encouraged to apply. ActionAid International is an equal opportunity Employer.