Reports to : Programme Director
About the Aga Khan Foundation
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), was established by His Highness the Aga Khan in 1967. AKF is a private, not-for-profit international development agency that seeks to provide long-term solutions to society’s problems. AKF brings together human, financial, and technical resources to address challenges faced by the poorest and most marginalised communities in the world. AKF has a special focus on investing in human potential, expanding opportunity, and improving the overall quality of life, especially for women and girls. AKF’s primary areas of focus are; Education; Early Childhood Development (ECD); Health and Nutrition; Civil Society; Agriculture and Food Security; and Economic Inclusion.
AKF is committed to improving the quality of life of all boys and girls, women and men in the communities we work. To achieve this, AKF delivers multi-sector programming in the above sectors and assumes a holistic and systems approach ensuring all interventions are globally informed, locally rooted, are embedded in government and community interests and structures, and work to promote social inclusion, equity, and pluralism.
About the Madrasa Early Childhood Development Program
Madrasa Early Childhood Development Program, Uganda (MECPU) is an initiative of the Aga Khan Foundation that delivers ECD caregivers/teacher training services, as well as community-based programmes and policy engagement with government and other stakeholders.
MECP was first established in Kenya in 1986 with the objective of enabling communities to establish and sustain their own Early Childhood Education (ECE) centres and initiatives to prepare and enable girls and boys to go to school, stay in school, and learn.
MECPU delivers ECD caregivers/teacher training through the Madrasa Early Childhood Development Institute (MECDI), which was established to provide quality professional development courses for both pre-service and in-service ECD caregivers/teacher trainees. Through its community-based programmes and policy engagement, MECPU supports parenting programs and ECD policy development, dissemination and implementation, and analysis.
AKF though the Madrasa Early Childhood Development Program, Uganda (MECPU) is seeking an experienced and dynamic Project Officer –ECD who will be responsible for supporting program implementation in Kampala, Wakiso and Mukono which will be running until end of 2022. The Project Officer will perform his/her duties under the close supervision of the Programme Director.
- Conduct workshops for parents and teachers on remote learning approaches for children.
- Site based mentoring and coaching activities for the key stakeholders including teachers, parents and Local Government Officials.
- Providing technical support to the Teachers, VHTs and health workers on ECD.
- Organise and Conduct training including both Centre based and site-based mentoring for teachers under the ECD programme in Wakiso, Mukono Kampala.
- Training district and sub county officials to deliver on ECD programs, providing quality assurance and on their role of delivering integrated ECD program in the district
- Participating in District level events that are geared towards supporting ECD
- Conduct regular monitoring and evaluation activities to ensure that the programme is implemented as per plan.
- Organise District review meetings to track the progress on the programme and receive feedback from the local government leadership.
- Flags issues of concerns on the programme to the Programme Director for assistance, guidance or resolutions.
- Identify capacity gaps and arrange for appropriate training of ECD caregivers to adequately equip them with necessary skills and knowledge required to accomplish their responsibilities at the day operational level.
- Collects, documents and provides field data and information; lessons and best practices to inform reports for internal and external use; and support the M&E officer in data collection and analysis.
- Work with other staff members to develop materials and plans for training ECD caregivers
- Perform other relevant duties as and when assigned by the Programme Director.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in ECD/ECCE or related field
- At least 2-3 years’ experience of working as an ECD programme Officer. Working with communities on promotion of ECD will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrable experience with adult learning facilitation
- Experience managing stake holders at district level, e.g. schools, communities, local government etc and mobilization skills.
- Fluent in Luganda
- An excellent command of spoken and written English, including report writing and computer skills, especially MS Word and Excel.
- Ability to ride a motorcycle will be an added advantage.
- Adherence to AKF’s values and safeguarding policy.
- Impeccable honesty and work ethics
- Personal commitment to working as reliable, honest, & trustworthy member of AKFU team
How to Apply
Candidates interested in this unique career opportunity with AKF should submit a two-page cover letter and a maximum three-page CV including the names and contact information of three professional referees by 4:30pm on 4th March 2022.
Click on the link to apply: www.akdn.org/careers
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
*The Madrasa Early Childhood Program is an affiliate of AKF which Is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is Committed to Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children and Vulnerable Adults and Expects all Staff and Partners to Share this Commitment.
The Aga Khan Foundation is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org)