Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA) is a semi-autonomous agency under the Ministry of Tourism, Wildlife and Antiquities. UWA was established under the Uganda Wildlife Act Cap 200, and continued under the Uganda Wildlife Act, 2019.
The Mission of UWA is: “To conserve, economically develop and sustainably manage the wildlife and protected areas of Uganda in partnership with neighbouring communities and other stakeholders for the benefit of the people of Uganda and the global community.” UWA, an equal opportunity employer wishes to recruit high calibre, self-motivated and result oriented Ugandan nationals to fill the positions below.
JOB TITLE : RANGER
VACANCIES : EIGHT HUNDRED AND FIFTY (850)
AGE LIMIT : NOT MORE THAN 30 YEARS
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To protect wildlife resources, property and human life in the area of deployment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(i) Conduct patrols/operations to protect wildlife resources in and around the Protected Areas.
(ii) Detect and proactively prevent wildlife crime.
(iii) Arrest, search and support the prosecution of suspects involved in illegal wildlife activities.
(iv) Provide security to wildlife resources, UWA property, staff and visitors in and outside the Protected Areas.
(v) Collect and record field data for management decision making.
(vi) Support problem animal control.
(vii) Support the rescue, capture and translocation of wildlife.
(viii) Whenever assigned, operate radios and disseminate information to relevant personnel.
(ix) Gather and relay intelligence to relevant personnel.
(x) Monitor protected area boundaries and deter encroachment.
(xi) Assist in undertaking wildlife inventories and surveys.
(xii) Prepare and timely submit performance and other operational reports
(xiii) Perform any other official duty as assigned from time to time by the supervisor.
i. Holders of Uganda Certificate of Education with a credit in English language or Mathematics obtained not more than 6 years ago or Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education, with at least one principle pass, obtained within the last 4 years.
ii. Possession of either a certificate or diploma in Wildlife Management will be an added advantage.
a) Proven medical and physical fitness
b) Ability to withstand harsh field conditions
c) High level of integrity and accountability
d) Team work
e) Good communication skills
f) Time management
Eligible candidates must meet the following requirements;
1. Must be in possession of handwritten application to the Executive Director, Uganda Wildlife Authority with personal telephone numbers, original copies of their academic documents (Certificate and Transcript) and a detailed Curriculum Vitae.
2. Must be a Ugandan adult citizen with original National Citizenship Identity Card.
3. Must be healthy and physically fit, ready to undergo medical and physical check and a road run to test endurance and body fitness.
4. Should possess recommendation letters of the LC I – LC III
5. Candidates must be of good conduct with no criminal record.
6. Candidates should be ready to undergo military training.
7. Academic documents for the successful candidates will be vetted and background checks conducted before they are considered for appointment into the Authority.
8. Presentation of false documents is criminal and culprits will be liable to prosecution.
9. Please note that any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualifying candidates should report to the recruitment centres of their choice as listed below by 8:00 am, with their hand written applications plus attachments thereof and original copies of their academic certificates and identification documents.
They should also come prepared to undertake physical fitness tests including running 10KM to test their endurance and suitability for the subsequent training.
The job advert can also be accessed from the UWA website; www.ugandawildlife.org and UWA notice boards. Successful candidates should be ready go for training immediately