Caritas Belgium is an international NGO registered (more information here) since 15 January 1949.
Caritas Belgium is looking for a highly qualified Regional Administration and Finance Coordinator for its Regional office in Kampala, Uganda.
Job location: Initially based in Hoima and then (early 2023) transfer to Kampala.
Job type and duration: 1 year contract, renewable, open for Uganda nationals only.
Overall purpose of the role: Provision of financial and administrative support and services in Caritas Belgium Regional office in Kampala.
Caritas team globally: More than 300 people currently work for Caritas Belgium, in Belgium and abroad.
Countries where we work: Burkina Faso, Niger, Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, Burundi, Ethiopia, Haiti, Ukraine, Jordan, Palestine, Ukraine.
The work we do: globally covers both humanitarian and development activities: rapid response to crises, IGA, agriculture, disaster preparedness, SGBV, protection, etc.
Caritas Belgium in Eastern Africa is currently working in Uganda and Ethiopia
We do both humanitarian and development activities and key thematic areas are humanitarian protection and livelihoods. Candidates are expected to travel in these 2 countries.
Functional and hierarchical links:
- He/she reports to the Regional representative of Caritas Belgium and to the Finance cell in Brussels.
- He/she manages and collaborates with partners’ project accountants, and administrators
- He/she works in close collaboration with the project coordinators in Uganda and Ethiopia.
The RAF is responsible for ensuring the efficient application of financial and administrative systems and controls which support the implementation of all projects within the region. He/she ensures that the regional office and all implementing partners adhere to the set accounting and financial management policies and procedures in accordance with the CI.be management framework, donors and local legislation.
- Budget management and Reporting
- Coordinate the development of annual budgets and cash flows, and manage the same throughout the year;
- Produce management and donor financial reports within the set deadlines and formats.
- Be the focal point for donor audits at the mission level in conjunction with CI.bes’ internal audit department.
- Ensure the existence of and compliance with financial and accounting resource management rules in each country
- Supervise and oversee the accounting system to ensure transparency, completeness of financial information, compliance with procedures and legibility of expenditures.
- Ensure that the partners’ accounting systems meet the minimum standards, and that their accounting information can be relied upon.
- Cash management
- To ensure that the necessary and sufficient level of cash is always available for the smooth running of operations with maximum control of security and operational risks
- Ensure the archiving of the mission’s accounting documents, according to the CI.be guidelines, donor and local laws.
- General management or resources
- Put in place the necessary controls and tools to monitor the use of resources efficiently and effectively, including assets and inventory.
- Participate in the development of the mission’s procurement framework (procurement plan), and ensure adherence to the procedures.
- Administrative management of the mission, legal watch
- Ensure the updating of legal documents for the proper functioning of CI.be in collaboration with the other members of the coordination team, notably Regional Rep, ensure the annual registration of lease agreements and the terms of contracts for coordination offices and projects
- Ensure the legal monitoring of the mission by creating and maintaining a network of relevant information, in particular on labor and tax legislation
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations for each country in its areas of responsibility (labor law, social and tax legislation, etc.)
- Contribute to the development of a competitive remuneration package and incentives to motivate staff.
- Administrative Management of Human Resources
- Ensure the proper management of the mission’s human resources in accordance with Caritas Belgium Human Resource Policy Manual and local legislation.
- Act as Caritas Belgium representative to the administrative authorities (Labor Inspectorate, Lawyer, Social Security, Taxes, etc.)
- Ensure adherence to the recruitment policy and maintain complete personnel files for each staff, in both hard copy and electronic copy.
- Facilitate the induction of all new staff in collaboration with all relevant managers.
- Prepare the monthly payroll for all staff and ensure that it is accurate.
- Ensure that all staff have set objectives, and appraisals are undertaken in accordance with the HR policy manual
- Ensure that each staff has a clear job description, which they understand and sign for.
- Contribute to the identification of training and capacity building needs and compile an annual training plan for the mission
This job description is not exhaustive and may be modified as the mission evolves.
Qualifications & Work Experience:
- BA/BS in finance, business administration, public administration, economics, or other relevant field is required
- Minimum 4 years significant related work experience in NGO industry
- Financial skills and experience are essential
Skills and competences:
- Strong organization skills, attention to detail.
- Excellent writing, editing, and formatting skills
- Ability to work independently as well as virtually with team members in a global environment
- Ability to balance multiple priorities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite is essential and Winbooks is an asset.
- Fluency in English is essential
- French (oral and written) is an asset
How to Apply
Please send your CV and cover letter as one document, maximum 4 pages to :
Jean-Yves Terlinden, email@example.com before 23 September 2022 with subject “RAF Kampala”
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two referees.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
The candidates can expect a financial and administrative package in line with the humanitarian sector.
Caritas Belgium is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply