DRS is looking for a Regional Director of Programmes, to work for an INGO whose mission is to enable the compassionate movement of those displaced by natural or man-made disasters to safety, and provide them and their host communities with opportunities to build their lives and thrive for the long term.
Job Title: Director of Programmes
Duration of contract: Permanent position
Starting date: ASAP
As Programme Director, oversee NGO’s country programmes:
NGO’s Country Directors line management (in collaboration with HO HR + SMT):
- Administration: Recruitment, induction, leave, R&R
- Performance: team management, targets set up, evaluation
- Capacity building: coaching, mentoring, training
- Oversee short-term deployments and new/additional assignments: country opening, project development, interim, technical reinforcement
- Participate in a managing crisis situation: fraud, allegations, mismanagement, work permits, government and donor relations, etc.
NGO’s Country Strategic positioning (in collaboration with HO Programme Coordinator + Logistics Coordinator):
Ensure a proper strategy is developed for every NGO country operation:
- Country needs assessment
- Alignment with government, UN and donors’ priorities
- Identification of local and international stakeholders (competition, potential partners)
- Targets with measurable objectives
Support positioning for fundraising (in collaboration with HO fundraising + HO programme coordinator):
- Participate in donor landscaping
- Provide technical guidance and deploy short-term assignments, interim, consultancy, etc.
- HO administrative support: due diligence, application, submission, etc.
NGO’s Project Management (in collaboration with Programme Department):
Oversee quality and compliance of new projects (non-UN contracts):
- Staffing – with HR
- M&E – with PM
- Cash flow – with Finance
- Reporting – with Prog Co
Oversee quality and compliance with UN logistics contracts.
As Senior Management Team Member, participate in strategic decision-making for the organization:
Participate in defining a robust, fit-for-purpose organizational structure for NGO:
- Processes and tools
Review the current organizational structure and staffing and segregation of roles and responsibilities:
- for the HO programme department
- for Country programmes.
Qualification, Experience, and Skills:
- Minimum bachelor’s degree and/or postgraduate degree in Economics.
- At least 4-7 years of practical experience in humanitarian response.
- Experience in the elaboration of humanitarian reforms.
- Seven years of relevant experience managing people and complex projects in developing counties; Experience working in Africa preferable.
- Working experience with international development partners, international Non-Governmental Organizations (INGOs), and donors (in particular UNHCR experience) is an asset.
- Proficiency to use the MS Office suite of applications and other IT systems.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) in English and French.
- Strong leadership and team building skills with the ability to set and communicate vision and strategy.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a range of people at all levels, including those from host country governmental and non-governmental organizations, and other counterparts, clients, donors (in particular UNHCR experience), and staff.
- Ability to lead and work as a member of teams, including consensus building, communications, and leadership skills.
- Ability to demonstrate cross-cultural sensitivity, tact, and poise.
- Ability to write clearly articulate proposals, reports, and correspondence.
- Strong analytical, communication and problem-solving skills are necessary along with the capacity to identify and articulate potential problems and provide possible solutions in concise and clear manner.
How to Apply
Applications and updated CV should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, under the title: DRS ref. number 11373. Due to the high number of applications received, we can reply to shortlisted candidates only. Please note that the above requirements can be modified during the recruitment process according to client’s procedures.