Job Title: Risk and Compliance Specialist
Reports to: Director Strategic Planning and Partnerships
Duty Station: MU-JHU
Contract terms: 1 year (renewable)
Required qualifications and Profile:
A Bachelor’s degree in accounting/Finance or related field; a master’s degree in business administration or Risk Management is desirable. Appropriate professional qualification in risk, audit and/or compliance is preferred. Training or certification in risk management/control or fraud within the donor environment and 5 years experience in Risk Management or Internal Audit/Compliance from a reputable entity. The desired person should have broad technical knowledge of both risk and compliance fields, especially in the health research and programming environment, a strong business attitude that facilitates efficiency and results, experience working and motivating action in a multi-disciplinary environment, strong personal ethical code, attention to detail, excellent communication (oral and written), presentation and interpersonal skills and networks within the legal and regulatory environment of health.
The holder of this position will work under the direct supervision of the Director of Strategic Planning and Partnerships with a good understanding of MU-JHU’s core business and our cooperating environment, the incumbent will:
- Review, compile and update a file of all applicable laws, policies, regulations, and guidelines that affect the operations of MU-JHU, including by regulating bodies, funders, partners, as well as internal policies.
- Review current and guide the development of all future internal policies to ensure compliance with national laws, funder policies, and applicable regulations.
- Provide a periodic report (or whenever requested) to management and staff on any changes and updates to laws, policies, regulations, and guidelines affecting MU-JHU’s operations
- Review MU-JHU’s operational processes to verify compliance with applicable laws, policies, regulations, and guidelines
- Sensitize management and staff on potential or anticipated changes in the regulatory environment applicable to MU-JHU.
- Review and revise/update the existing risk policy framework at MU-JHU for immediate application
- Design and lead the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) plan
- Disseminate and sensitize all staff on institutional risk management frameworks and support the embedding of a risk-aware culture, best practices, and obligations
- Continuously scan the environment and ensure that management is always informed of the risks affecting MU-JHU, and management’s obligations
- Establish, quantify, and regularly update MU-JHU’s “risk appetite” and ensure that existing risk management approaches are responsive to it
- Lead appropriate reporting of risk, including preparing regular reports for the Board and external risk reporting to stakeholders
- Conduct internal risk assessments and investigations based on established frameworks and generate reports for management action
- Understand business requirements and provide timely, proactive, and practical risk and compliance advice to research and project leaders in their operations
- Provide technical support in developing the risk and compliance aspects of funding proposals
- Based on a good understanding of MU-JHU’s core business, proactively identify areas for service, process, or product enhancement, supportive of the innovative tempo of MU-JHU
- Maintain professional GCLP/HSP accreditation and complete study-specific training as required.
Applications with complete C.Vs, including 3 referees and their full addresses or contact telephone numbers, copies of academic certificates and testimonials, may be hand-delivered to MU-JHU Director Human Resources, through the reception on the first floor, MU-JHU 1 Building or sent by email (application should not exceed 15MBs) to HR@mujhu.org – not later than 23rd June 2022 by 5.30 pm.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.