Duties and Qualifications
Risk Management and Compliance Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The position is a part of the Risk Management initiative, increasing investment in and attention to risk management, compliance and oversight to better identify, mitigate and respond to important risks in field operations. The aim is to achieve a more risk-informed management of Operations by reinforcing the continuum between risk identification, root-cause analysis, implementation of risk mitigation measures and response to risks. Key operational risks that affect delivery and impact will be reviewed with particular attention being paid to risks of fraud, corruption, terrorism, money laundering and sexual exploitation and abuse of refugees as well as harassment among team members.
Reporting to the Senior Risk Management and Compliance Advisor, the incumbent will support operational managers in effective risk management and compliance thereby improving risk culture and integrity in the organization.
The incumbent shall assist in reviewing the adequacy of risk management and compliance systems, structures, procedures and capacities across the Operation, and support development and delivery of measures as appropriate for their strengthening.
The incumbent will be part of a network Risk Management 2.0 practitioners and will support corporate Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) capacity to ensure coherence of approach, identify and address systemic root causes requiring a corporate-level response, and the sharing of best-practice.
Compliance with relevant policies and rules in operational management constitutes a significant component of risk mitigation. Therefore, this position will include review of compliance and support to address any issues arising, with analysis of reasons for non-compliance and appropriate measures going forward.
The incumbent will work with managers and staff to assist and build their capacities to identify and address risk and compliance issues in their areas of responsibility.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Provide support on risk management approaches, tools and compliance issues to management and staff.
– Support the integration of risk management in operational planning and decision-making processes.
– Support the review of risks across the operation, including identification, analysis and assessment.
– Support the design and implementation of risk mitigation actions as appropriate.
– Assist the risk advisor and functional units in the operation with all aspects of risk management.
– Maintain and update the Corporate Risk Register as an active risk management tool.
– Support the coordination and delivery of relevant trainings, workshops and other capacity building initiatives relevant to risk management and compliance internally and with partners.
– Contribute to improving procedures that integrate risk management and compliance within the Operation.
– Assist in the coordination and the follow-up on the oversight entities recommendations (audit, inspection, evaluation as well as internal compliance monitoring/coordination review assignment), and take appropriate action with the operation¿s focal points to address any problems or difficulties arising from monitoring of the process.
– Undertake support missions in the operation as necessary and agreed/requested.
– Contribute to inter-agency forums and discussions related to risk management and compliance.
– Prepare/contribute relevant inputs to reports and analysis as requested.
– Access to staff and records as required to perform work.
– Represent the Senior Risk Management and Compliance Advisor as assigned.
– Assist in the review of the risk and compliance across the operation.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P3 – 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses : Not specified.
Relevant Job Experience
Demonstrated experience in project management. Good knowledge of UN/UNHCR regulations and policies. Good knowledge of UNHCR/UN information systems (MSRP, Focus etc.) and standard computer applications (Excel, Word, Access, Visio, etc.). Demonstrated high level of integrity, objectivity, impartiality and fairness. Very strong analysis and drafting skills.
Professional qualification in accounting, audit, fraud, public administration. General specific learning/training in the fields of evaluations, risk and programme management. Knowledge of and working experience with Enterprise Risk Management frameworks.
MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation;
IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software;
PG-Resource Planning; eg. FOCUS, Global Focus Insight;
*UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures;
LE-Forensic Audit and/or Fraud Examination;
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
C001L3 – Accountability Level 3
C002L3 – Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 – Communication Level 3
C004L3 – Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 – Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 – Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 – Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M003L3 – Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
X001L3 – Analytical Thinking Level 3
X005L3 – Planning and Organizing Level 3
X008L3 – Stakeholder Management Level 3
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies advertised in this addendum is Thursday 4 March 2021 (mid-night Geneva time).
How to apply
Apply online at https://public.msrp.unhcr.org/