Safe Way Right Way SWRW) is a registered Non-Governmental Organisation, whose mission is to achieve a crash-free road network for Uganda. SWRW leverages support from the Government and Private Sector Companies to demonstrate best practices and implement road safety interventions along Uganda’s economically critical road corridors.
With financial assistance from the Global Road Safety Partnerships (GRSP) programme supported by Bloomberg Philanthropies, Safe Way Right Way will be seeking to support key stakeholders in Uganda to advocate for the definition of a standard for safe helmets for use & distribution and increase public awareness of helmet standards, usage and promote accessibility to safe helmets.
Position: Road Safety Advisor – Safe Helmets Uganda Project (SHUP Project)
Reports to: Project Manager
The Road Safety Advisor will work closely with the SWRW Safe Helmets Project team to support key government institutions in the review and update of the Motorcycle and Tricycle Regulations and the Helmet Standard defined for Uganda. The Advisor will be required to join key stakeholder meetings from time to time, and personnel with experience in Road Safety Advocacy in Uganda or East Africa are strongly advised to apply.
- Collaborate with the Safe Way Right Way team to accomplish project objectives on the revision of Helmet standards and Motorcycle & Tricycle regulations.
- Support the SWRW team in the review of the Motorcycle and Tricycle regulations
- Support the SWRW project team in the validation of the Helmet distribution market analysis report.
- Guide the project team on the best advocacy strategies for change of the Motorcycle and Tricycle regulations
- Guide and support the project team on how best to approach key stakeholders and advocate for changes to regulations.
- Facilitate the process of review and update of regulations wherever necessary.
- Assist with the drafting model legislation or regulations and provide assistance as the draft is modified or changed by the government.
- Support the SWRW project team in developing resource materials and aids for promoting usage of safe helmets.
- Support the SWRW project team in facilitating and rapporteur meetings with key government officials and legislators.
- Advanced Degree in Law; Transport or Safety related discipline; Social Work and Social Administration; or an equivalent qualification.
- Five to eight years of relevant advocacy experience in Road Safety.
- Experience working with Key Government Officials at Ministerial level and key Legislators
- Experience designing and implementing Road Safety Advocacy initiatives and campaigns.
- Willingness and ability to work remotely and independently.
- Demonstrated experience in designing/planning and implementing workshops and seminars for Legislators and Government Officials.
How to apply
Interested parties, please send your application and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5.00 pm on 10th October 2021. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.