Job title: Senior Compliance & Internal Review Officer
Reporting to: The Country Director with dotted line to Regional Director of Operations
In partnership with senior management, the Associate Compliance & Internal Review Officer will objectively add value and improve EGPAF Uganda’s programming by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes. The successful candidate will possess a thorough knowledge of various operational procedures and a sound judgement.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as an expert on applicable policies, procedures, rules, and regulations. The position holder will possess superior presentation skills and will spearhead innovative sensitization of key policies to various organization levels i.e. management, all staff, sub-recipients, vendors, etc.
- Works with the CD and ADO to develop a risk assessment of the country program and may be assigned as the primary point person for updating EGPAF Uganda’s risk register
- Works with the Country Director, Associate Operations Director and HQ to develop a targeted, risk-based, and coherent annual compliance review plan, disseminates the plan to management and core operations teams and ensures strict adherence/implementation of the plan within the stipulated timelines
- Documents the compliance review process/methodology and prepares detailed findings memorandum for management (in-country and HQ)
- Review various areas of the EGPAF operations including grants, procurement, stock management, finance, IT, HR, legal compliance and inventory as determined by the risk assessment
- Supervising the junior compliance and internal review staff in the country office and guiding their work in relation to internal review plan, audit universe, related working papers and review of reports
- Maintains open and regular communications with Senior Management, Regional Operations and other headquarters staff in DC for compliance updates, learning of best practices from other countries, problem solving options, professional development, etc.
- In conjunction with the Director of Audit and Risk, conduct investigations related to suspected fraud, ensuring timely completion of investigations and proactive status updates with key stakeholders, while maintaining confidentiality
- Ensures that all audit/compliance findings are tracked and is responsible for monitoring implementation status by the various managers, and will report on implementation status on a regular basis
- Perform programmatic compliance reviews in specialized program areas such as VMMC, etc. as determined by country management
- Perform other duties as assigned from time to time.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field of study (such as accounting or business management or related field)
- Advanced degree preferred
- Must have completed ACCA or CPA (U) with at least 5 years’ hands on experience in audit at management/supervisory level
- In depth knowledge of United States Government grant and financial regulations, systems and procedures for managing complex grant programs with many partners and customers.
- Experience working with an international non-profit/non-governmental organization (NGO) will be an added advantage
- Ability to be self-directed and self-motivated and a team player.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills
- Ability to develop and implement training programs for multi-faceted audiences
- Emotionally intelligent individual, with ability to resolve conflicts professionally