Registration in Uganda is carried out by the Government of Uganda through the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) with support from the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
As of end of February 2021, the active population of concern in Uganda was recorded as 1,462,164 individuals consisting of 374,223 households and spread in 14 different locations in Uganda. The main population groups are the South Sudanese at 897,184 individuals (61%), Congolese at 426,605 individuals (29%), Burundi at 49,834 Individuals (3%) and Somali at 46,146 Individuals (3%). The remaining 3% is made up of refugees and asylum seekers from 27 different countries.
OPM and UNHCR seek to conduct a joint verification and individual profiling exercise (IPE) in favor of refugees and asylum seekers residing in all settlements and urban areas in Uganda, tentatively starting Q3 of 2021. The exercise will have the aim of ascertaining the actual number of refugees in the country and ensuring that a comprehensive protection and social economic dataset is available for implementing assistance, livelihood strategy and protection programmes.
- Support the development or revision of methodological approaches and standards for the assessment conducted by UNHCR or partner organizations in support of monitoring, assessment, targeting, evaluation, operational plans and results reporting.
- Advise on the appropriate methods and tools to be used in data collection and data analysis activities.
- Conduct regular data quality checks on data collected and proactively communicate erroneous data for correction.
- Support data analysis activities from the data collected during the assessment and from UNHCR’s data systems such as, registration and identity management etc;
- Support the design and implementation of relevant statistical analytical products and input into their production, including quality assurance.
- In close collaboration with Protection and Information Management, take lead in drafting assessment reports.
- Monitor data quality of the verification exercise
- Support field colleagues on registration systems for data collection
- With information management staff, support consistency in the analytical approach at global, regional and/or country level, including for the purpose of cross-border analysis and response.
- Perform other duties requested by the supervisor
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Analytical Thinking
- Technological Awareness
- Planning and Organizing
- High School Diploma or Bachelor or equivalent in information technology, demography, statistics, social sciences, data science, gender studies or related field is required.
- 4 years of relevant work experience in data analysis and writing high quality analytical reports and research products or 2 years of relevant work experience if holder of post-graduate university degree is required.
- Ability to formulate Information Management-related technical requirements and Operating Procedures is required.
- Knowledge in Microsoft SQL Server is required
- Experience with handling confidential data and demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies is required.
- Excellent analytical skills are required
- Advanced skills in Microsoft excel and other statistical analysis software/s is required
- Ability to review and analyze data and produce high quality visual graphics representing data sets is required
- Excellent command of English (spoken and written) is required
- Knowledge of UNHCR’s work and mandate is required
- High level of integrity and respect for values and principles of UNHCR is required
- Demonstrate the highest level of commitment to and respect for persons of concern to UNHCR, partners and colleagues in all aspects of work and ensure that personal professional behavior is of the highest standard is required.
- Experience working with refugees is desirable.
- Knowledge of the UN system and the humanitarian community is desirable.
- Training in registration or operational data management is desirable.
- Excellent word processing skills is desirable.
- Knowledge in R or Phython is desirable.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about UNHCR’s Age, Gender and Diversity Policy is desirable.
- Experience producing advocacy products and reports for UN or other humanitarian agencies is desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a diverse and multi-cultural team environment is desirable.
- Ability to work in stressful situations is desirable