Ayuda en Acción
Ayuda en Acción is an organization with an international presence that, from a global commitment, has been fighting against poverty, inequality and exclusion since its birth in 1981. Our scope of action is developed in Africa, Latin America, Asia, and from 2013 also in Spain, in those territories and populations with greater vulnerability and less access to opportunities to exercise their rights with equality and equity. A non-denominational, non-partisan organisation committed to the values that stem from respect for Human Rights and that believes in the need to generate changes that make social justice possible, by addressing the causes that generate inequality of opportunities, social exclusion and poverty. A supportive community of exchange of values and capabilities, based on dignity, equality and mutual respect, which includes more than 120,000 people, a large number of companies and diverse collaborators, whose solidarity reaches around 2,500,000 people with whom we work together to improve their lives.
Energy & Market (E&M) Project Manager
The Ayuda en Acción (A&A) Foundation is an international organization working in development and humanitarian work. Ayuda en Acción Uganda is registered as foreign Charity organization in Uganda and working in partnership with multiple development actors, government sectors, communities and their organizations to eradicate poverty.
Our primary task is to promote improvements in the individual and collective capacities of the children, families and communities with whom we work. For that, this project will aim at implementing a Market System Development (MSD) for the first time, implying working with private sector companies and facilitating the development of an inclusive market system that allows commercial solutions reaching poor and vulnerable families and farmers in rural Uganda.
You may also like :
- United Nations recruitment 2023/2024 Online application form
- IOM Recruitment 2023/2024 : Online application
- Coca-Cola Recruitment 2023/2024 : Online application
Brief Context of Project in Uganda
Ayuda en Acción Uganda (AeAU) is seeking thoughtful, experienced, dedicated and professional (E&M) Project Manager to explicitly coordinate and lead the implementation, M&E, documentation and reporting of an internal AeA Funded Project in Partnership with the Consortium partner Palm Corps. AeAU is both the leading implementing agency for the project.
The project is integrated, coordinated, and synergized with the ongoing long-term territorial development program approaches, which are working in several sectors, including: Sustainable agriculture value chains (i.e., Kasava and tomato); employment; and women social empowerment programs. The project aims to promote off-grid renewable energy solutions to communities of Adjumani and Moyo districts favoring the reduction of food insecurity, and increase employment and livelihood opportunities for the local population.
It is a local position based in Kampala (Uganda) with often travelling to Adjumani, Moyo or adjacent districts (estimated in at least 1 week/month of local travelling). The E&M project manager will play dual accountability report to the Country Director, particularly for institutional and administrative elements and to the international energy access and climate change sectoral expert based in Madrid (Spain), particularly for operational and programmatic elements. The role will also include functional relations and reporting to AeAU Head of Finance and consortium project partner (Palm Corps) as well as other local and national stakeholders with whom the project may establish formal relationships (i.e., private sector companies, academia, NGOs, government or international institutions).
He/she provides the overall strategic and operational, technical and administration supports and being ultimately responsible for the implementation, delivery of results, monitoring and evaluation, documentation and reporting of the project, ensuring the Integration, oversight and synergy of the project with the overall program strategy and development.
Specific responsibilities include:
Coordination and Management
- Ensure the project coordination with the consortium partner Palm Corps, as per the project documents (Project document, project budget distribution, and AeA systems) both technical and financial matters.
- Ensure the quality of outputs and results foreseen. Strengthen optimal consortium coordination and internal communication mechanisms. Advocate and promote partners’ coordination/collaboration in order to ensure outcomes achievements with particular attention on those components and objectives which foresee interlinkage among partners and synergies.
- Provide direction, leadership, ensure overall supervision of the Project personnel (including partners), and ensure effective communication and coordination between the Project office in Adjumani and staff dependent to the project and the AeAU Country office in Kampala. Identify any support and advice required for the management, planning and control of the Project.
- Manage the Project resources (human, financial and material) in coordination with AeAU senior management team and international energy access and climate change sectoral expert, applying strategic planning and systematic coordination of project activities. Provide Capacity building (in particular about MSD application) and close coaching support to project staffs, consortium partners, private sector companies, institutional and government agencies (if needed), and communities to ensure the proper management and sustainability of the project.
- The role will engage in regional digital/face-to-face AeA sectoral discussions with other AeA country offices (i.e., Mali, Niger, Ethiopia, and Mozambique) and provision of technical assistance and capacity building when appropriated under the direct guidelines and support by AeA sectoral unit.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Carry out project implementation, M&E (overall coordination of project outcomes), documentation and reporting of the 2 years (September 2022 to July 2024) project activities and annual operation plans including the required modifications and amendments as per AeA systems, and directions,
- Ensure timely preparation and compilation of the Project Annual/Quarterly Work Plans and Progress/Final substantial technical reports and impact evaluations.
- Inform timely and regularly the energy access and climate change sectoral expert in HQ on project development, relevant strategic and operational internal or external variables that affect the project implementation as well as contingent opportunities, which could increase its impact (i.e., business opportunities, room for advocacy events, etc.). Propose corrective measures in case of technical or budget deviations.
- Documenting and producing quality and standard reporting as per the AeA policies/procedures provide data/feedback to the Ayuda en Accion knowledge base.
- Establish biweekly reporting meetings with the energy access and climate change sectoral expert on key project activities, issues and required action points. Country director or other country office representatives will be invited to join.
- Properly document and share project processes, achievements, learning and impacts in coordination with AeA MEAL specialist and the knowledge responsible person at HQ and ensure proper implementation of the visibility according to AeA rules.
- Along with the support of the local office manager, lead two junior roles based in Adjumani local office (1. Analyst; and 2. Field worker) in order to deliver on the interests of the project implementation.
Representation and Positioning
- Represent the project in front of counter parties and enhance the project partnerships/relationships with consortium members, Public and Private Stakeholders, development partners, NGOs, networks, alliances, research and academic institutions in the project area and at national levels,
- Guide and orient efforts and contributions of consultants, staff and government counterparts towards achievement of project objectives.
- Ensure proper support to CD in order to inform AeA on matters related to the project or AeA cooperation activities regionally or internationally.
- Assist in development of the gender mainstreaming strategy and ensure the mainstreaming of gender into all project activities.
- Support the Head of Programs, project staffs, and the energy access and climate change sectoral expert in the Development of new project proposals and other national and international donors’ calls.
- Understand and assure the implementation of any system security and safety procedures and requirements to human resources management, protect the completeness, accuracy and integrity of accounting data and information based on AeA policies, procedures, and the law in Uganda.
- Verify and channel all requests for Project, administrative, logistical and other support and report all incidents related to security and issues of general concern to AeA senior management team.
Required Skills & Experience:
- MA/MSC degree in development studies in general and agricultural economics, Agri business and Value Chain, project management, Livelihoods, Rural development, Renewable Energies, and related fields.
- A minimum of 5 years work experience in the SSA region of which a minimum of 3 years in project/research managerial position in long and short-term donor/company funded projects/program.
- Fund raising and management, partnership development and management, networking and alliance building, Innovations, M&E, documentation and reporting in the off-grid private sector or other institution will be considered an added value.
- Experience working in off-grid SSA markets under a market-based approach will be considered an added value.
- Leadership and management of donor/private company funded development projects/programs will be considered an added value.
- Experience in organizing and facilitating multi-stakeholder value chain platforms/events to link smallholders with value chain actors, private sector companies and supporters will be considered an added value.
- Strong knowledge of off-grid energy access and private actors in Uganda or in the region.
- Proven experience in strategic planning and project/program design, with demonstrated experience in implementation, Capacity building, M&E.
- Knowledge, practical application and implications of participatory development approaches, tools, monitoring and evaluation tools.
- Ability to structure and manage complex tasks; including experience in work planning, coordination and activity budgeting.
- Demonstrated ability to engage partners and stakeholders at a high level across the ecosystem, and build effective partnership models, excellent networking, alliance building and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative while also having strong team building skills.
- Ability to develop analytical and well written, cohesive reports with good communication skills with proper written and spoken English, computer skills that are responsive to the donor’s needs.
- Able to communicate the respective local languages and culture are an advantage.
Available to travel to project areas, rural areas and communities, and less regularly international travels
Good behavior and attitude.
Immediate incorporation and fulltime work.
Two years contract with possibility of Extension.
Duty station: Kampala, with traveling to project area, communities and villages and less regularly international travels.
Remuneration will be according to the salary policy of Ayuda en Acción.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted. Female applicants meeting the requirements are highly encouraged to apply.
- Please add CV and cover letter (1 page minimum).
- The deadline for receipt of CVs is until 07/23/2022.