TITLE : SENIOR INTERNAL AUDITOR
Duty Station : StrongMinds Global Office, Kampala, Uganda
Reporting to : Regional Finance and Risk Director (RFRD)
Anticipated Start Date : May 2023
StrongMinds (www.strongminds.org) is a dynamic and fast growing 501(c)(3) social enterprise with its center of operations in Kampala, Uganda, that focuses on one of the most underserved populations and one of the most pervasive mental illnesses in the world. We treat depression among women of all ages in Africa, where access to mental health treatment is extremely limited, and has recently launched our services in the U.S. Since its start in 2014, StrongMinds has treated over 210,000 women with depression in Uganda and Zambia. We are the only organization scaling a solution to depression with a potential to serve millions of people in the next ten years. At this exciting time, StrongMinds is looking to hire its first full-time internal audit position.
Operationalize Risk Management Framework for the Organization
• Update the Risk Management Policy
• Develop a Risk Management Procedures Manual
• Design various risk management tools including forms, templates, audit files and report formats
Roll out the Risk Management Framework for the Organization
• Develop training for management who are responsible for identifying, evaluating, measuring, and addressing risks and for staff who may be called upon to participate in risk assessments including the format and content, with support from the RFRD.
• Support leadership in the preparation and updating of their respective risk registers
• Compile and synthesize the data and information from the various risk registers in preparation of an overall risk register for dissemination to the Board and Global Leadership Team
• Collaborate with the RFRD on the annual audit plan including timing, scoping, budgeting and engagement of internal and external third parties to conduct the audits as necessary.
• Increase Board and management engagement in risk management by scheduling and organizing regular meetings to review the organization’s risk management program
Involvement in fieldwork
• Prepare audit programs for each internal audit review assignment which may span accounting, administration, operations, programs, human resources, or monitoring and evaluation.
• Conduct testing and maintain clear, organized audit workpapers which may include work flow diagrams and specimen.
• Ensure that assignments are completed on time.
• Ensure that all relevant documents are filed and that audit files are completed for each assignment.
• Support the RFRD in carrying out special investigations, management (internal) consultancy and independent reviews in areas related to fraud, control, risk management, safety and security, cost savings, and other areas as directed by management/Global Leadership Team/ Board of Directors.
Preparation of Reports and Follow-up
• Prepare internal audit reports for each assignment upon completion of the fieldwork which cover criteria, condition, cause, consequences and correction.
• Support the RFRD in the preparation of reports including a quarterly audit report and annual risk management strategy report to the Boards.
• Follow up on the implementation of the internal and external audit recommendations with management. Administrative/Finance duties
• Ensure that the filing system for the risk management function is organized and up to date.
• Participate in the preparation of the annual audit and risk management plan
• Participate in the organizational budget preparation process and provide guidance on budgetary control.
• Support the RFRD on all day-to-day activities of financial management of the Global Office
Educations, Experience, Skills & Abilities Required:
• University degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Bachelor of Science Accounting, other related field.
• Professional qualification and membership to professional bodies such as CPA, ACCA, CIMA, IIA (Institute of Internal Auditors) or equivalent.
• Knowledge and experience with International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing, under the International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF) of the IIA.
• Minimum of 5-7 years of audit experience with 2 years minimum as an audit senior.
• Experience in auditing donor funded programmes will be taken as an added advantage.
• Strong problem identification and solving skills.
• Extremely detail oriented and able to keep track of multiple tasks and issues in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to synthesize important information effi ciently and effectively and ability to convey technical issues to non-technical colleagues.
• Ability to keep projects on time and prioritize assignments.
• Computer literacy, familiarity with audit software and accounting packages and very strong excel skills.
• Experience in a start-up or growth orientated organization is a plus.
• Willingness to travel up to 25% of the time.
• Ability to work across geographic and functional lines to collaborate.
• Strong interest in the non-profi t sector, mental health and more specifi cally the mission of StrongMinds
The successful Senior Internal Auditor will also be expected to embrace, and role model the core values of StrongMinds:
• We are people-focused
• We think big and act fast
• We are data-driven
• We do what we say and say what we do
• We believe in collaboration, not competition
Please submit a thoughtful and brief (1 page maximum) cover letter and CV to The StrongMinds Director of People at firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning Senior Internal Auditor in the subject line by 11.00pm (EAT) on Monday 3rd April 2023.