JOB TITLE -Senior Resettlement Assistant
TYPE OF CONTRACT -UNOPS
VACANCY NOTICE – Internal/ External Vacancy UNOPS/001/2021
POSITION NUMBER- UNOPS/001/01
NUMBER OF VACANCIES- 3
LOCATION- Yumbe, Nakivale and Kyangwali
POSITION GRADE -LICA-5
CLOSING DATE – 2021-01-13
As of 1 January 2020, there were a total of (1,359,464) of refugees living in Uganda. 1,300,025 living in settlements; of which 66% are from South Sudan, 28% from Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), 3% from Burundi, 1% from Rwanda, 1% from Somalia and 1% from other nationalities and 59,439 refugees living in Kampala from Congolese, Somalia, South Sudan, Burundi other nationalities. Urban population represents 4,3 % of the refugee population.
The overall resettlement co-ordination and management in Uganda is under the authority and supervision of the Senior Resettlement Officer (SRO) in Kampala. She is supervised by the Assistant Representative (Protection) and Deputy Representative (Protection). She is assisted by one P3 Resettlement Officer in Kampala. The RST unit is managed by the Senior RST Officer who coordinate the overall RST activities. She is assisted by one RST Officer in Kampala.
Four reviewers with additional responsibilities are in Kampala and Kyaka. This includes the candidate under the current TOR. RST processing centers are currently located in 7 locations: Kampala extension, Kyaka, Nakivale, Kyangwali, Adjumani, Arua and Yumbe RST caseworkers are operating from those locations under the direct supervision of the Protection Officer in the field and technical supervision of the Resettlement expert in Kyaka and the Resettlement Officer located in Kampala.
- Carry out preliminary interviews and initial assessments to process refugees for resettlement following established procedures.
- Prepare written documentation for resettlement submission; ensure that records / files of individual cases are updated in a systematic and timely manner.
- Assess and review individual resettlement cases and prepare individual / group submission for scrutiny by the supervisor.
- Provide persons of concern (PoC) with up-to-date and accurate information on UNHCR’s resettlement policies and procedures.
- Comply with UNHCR’s standard operating procedures on resettlement, ensuring timely action on cases.
- Follow up on cases from time of submission to final decision and departure; ensure effective in-country communication on the status and follow-up on PoC being considered for resettlement.
- Assist in maintaining and updating proGres or Consolidated Online Resettlement Tracking System (CORTS) database and provide technical support.
- Coordinate travel and departure arrangements for refugees accepted for resettlement.
- Organize logistical support for governments undertaking resettlement missions.
- Provide administrative support for resettlement-related training activities, including organization of resettlement workshops and meetings as required.
- Maintain accurate resettlement statistics as well as up-to-date records on individual cases; assist in the preparation of reports.
- Draft / type routine correspondence to Field Offices / Multi-Country Offices / Headquarters.
- Systematically apply an Age, Gender and Diversity perspective in all aspects of the resettlement process; comply with UNHCR policy and guidelines on HIV/AIDS.
- Assist in mitigating resettlement fraud by reporting suspected fraud.
- Recommend eligible cases for resettlement consideration.
- Provide counselling to PoC.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Technological awareness
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma with additional qualification in International Law; International Relations or related field is required
- 5 years relevant experience with minimum of one-year experience working in resettlement in Uganda is required.
- Good knowledge of resettlement issues and UNHCR resettlement policies and operational applications is required.
- Completion of UNHCR specific learning/training activities (e.g., PLP and RSD/Resettlement Learning Programme, resettlement anti-fraud workshop) is required.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Additional language is desirable