Senior Sustainability Manager
Reports To: Country Director
Duty station: Kampala
Supervisor Duties: Manages Monitoring & Evaluation Officerand Sanitation Engineer in charge of Scale
Water for People is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) that works with people and partners to develop innovative and long-lasting solutions to the water, sanitation, and hygiene problems globally. The organization strives to continually improve, experiment with promising new ideas, and leverage resources to multiply its impact and leverage resources to multiply its impact.
You may also like :
- United Nations recruitment 2023/2024 Online application form
- IOM Recruitment 2023/2024 : Online application
- Coca-Cola Recruitment 2023/2024 : Online application
The Senior Sustainability Manager collaborates and provides support to national Ministries which include among others (Ministry of Water and Environment, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Finance and Economic Development and Ministry of Education and Sports), Government MDAs (NWSC, NEMA etc.), Regional structures, Technical Support Units, Water and Sanitation Development Facilities etc, National NGOs (UWASNET, NGO forum) WASH Service Authorities (districts) and Service Providers in water and sanitation to ensure sustainable water and sanitation services.
Essential Job Functions and Duties:
Strategic Planning for Sustainability .
• Work with WFP HQ, and Country Program staff to develop country strategic sustainability plan in line with Water for People’s overall strategy and policy objectives;
• Contribute to Water for People’s overall program and policy discussions pertaining to sustainability of WASH Services
• In co-operation with partners, develop program work that contributes to Water For People’s learning and advocacy agendas; Initiate annual operating plans in line with set sustainability prioritiesand allocated budget.
• Entertain relationships with national WASH stakeholders including WASH Ministries, government institutions responsible for sustaining WASH Services like the regional structures, local government authorities, and local water and sanitation service providers.
• Strengthen relationships with partner organizations, the local private sector and NGOs supporting WASH in WFP Every one Forever districts to create synergies.
• Build/strengthen relationship with sector stakeholders supporting sustainability-oriented activities and influence harmonization of sustainability approaches; Act as a liaison person for Agenda For Change Partners; Influence the uptake of sustainable sanitation approaches by sector stakeholders.
Specific Roles and tasks
• Participate in the review of sector policies, strategies, guidelines and influence the inclusion of sustainability principles in all sector documents where possible.
• Initiate research, and documentation of sustainability-oriented programs/activities such as performance of District Water and Sanitation Coordination Committees in the EF districts, impact of WFP work on peoples’ lives, performance of water and sanitation service providers and support the improvement process.
• Take a lead role in identifying capacity building needs of the national line Ministries, EF districts and service providers both in and outside EF districts and design strategies of bridging this gap. Collaborate with Agenda For Change partners and others to develop and scale up WASH tools;
• Facilitate the delivery of Sustainable Services Checklist in the EF Districts
• Participate in the international, and regional sustainability events
• Promote a learning environment among Water For People’s partners and staff
• Contribute to organizational learning at various levels; district, regional and national by preparing and disseminating data, lessons learned, good practices and statistical and qualitative to Water For People staff, partners and other stakeholders, and organize periodic organizational learning events to share best practices;
• Identify funding opportunities and support proposal development for Sustainability programmes
• Conduct and/or supervise periodic evaluations of the Program and Thematic Strategies and their contribution to the achievement of overall results
• Track delivery against Water For People—Uganda goals and objectives, including establishing baselines to gauge and support the performance of the program sustainability;
• Contribute to internal communications as needed. Working alongside both the country team and local Sanitation OfficerScale facilitate the expertise in scaling sanitation businesses in other towns Uganda
• In collaboration with existing organizations/institutions, identify needs, opportunities, gaps, and constraints in potential sanitation markets, models, and entrepreneurs, and provide mentoring and support to sanitation businesses. Contribute to donor reports, and bi-annual reports, and produce a synthetic and analytical progress report to guide management decision making when required; Facilitate/lead the scale up of successful water and sanitation businesses.
• Profile the organization’s work through process programme documentation, success stories, and lessons learnt including; fact sheets, documentaries, well designed annual reports.
• Connects to the Mission – Embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the dynamic role it plays leading social impact in international development.
• Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity – Understands ethical behavior and business practices and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
• Manages through Ambiguity – Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in responding to change and ambiguity.
• Demonstrates Cultural Awareness – Able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
• . Action-oriented – Maintains an attitude of open, curious and proactive learning, continually expanding own area of understanding and expertise.
• Connects with Others – Listens and fosters open communication through questioning, dialogue, and information sharing.
• Self-confident – Demonstrates humility, mature confidence and courage to innovate, risk, and lead in own role.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Skills Required:
• Master’s degree in development studies, Management, Environmental sciences, or any related fields
• Knowledgeable of the Water Sanitation and Hygiene sector issues of Uganda.
• At least five (5) years at a senior position, and at least 3 years’ experience preferably in an NGO setting
• Strategic thinker with well-developed planning skills .
• Understanding of sector building blocks, and water and sanitation sustainability.
• Experience in Tracking Budget Expenses and Grants Management
• Experience in Staff Supervision and Performance Management At least three (3) years’ experience in project and personnel management
• Fundraising and proposal writing experience;
• Experience in budget development and operations management
• Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication and organizational skills Strong problem-solving skills Self-starter and ability to undertake any tasks without intensive supervision
• Maintain sound ethical principles, integrity and transparency of due process Common sense to make judgments about a situation requiring deviations from routine tasks
Position is based at Water For People’s Uganda office;
Trips within and outside Uganda will be required from time to time.
How to apply
Resumes and Cover-letters can be submitted at our head office, Plot 15, Lugogo Bypass, Maviri Lane, P.O. Box 1420 Kampala, Uganda Or you can submitted on this email: firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to: The Human Resource Manager. The Deadline for submitting applications is Friday 5th November 2021 at 5:00PM