The Stakeholder Engagement Manager is a new position that will provide leadership to the development of radio-based e-extension platforms that offer farmers and rural communities sustained, high-quality e-extension services. Centered on a regular weekly or bi-weekly radio magazine offered by 12 Ugandan radio stations, the e-extension platforms will be supported and sustained by a wide range of stakeholders, including public policymakers, knowledge partners, extension service providers (public and private sector), civil society organizations, development project proponents, sponsors and advertisers, as well as radio station management.
Nature and Scope of Work
The Stakeholder Engagement Manager will use her or his exceptional networking, partner mobilization, and communication skills to engage diverse stakeholders to participate in researching and conceptualizing the platforms, designing platform services, and producing and sustaining platform services. As part of this, the Manager will raise the profile and develop/maintain an excellent reputation for impact, reliability and performance of Farm Radio International (FRI) within the country.
She or he will also help grow the organization within the country by identifying and developing prospects for new projects, working closely with FRI’s Senior Manager for Program Development (PD) and within established PD systems.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDING KEY DELIVERABLES
Raise awareness of and interest in the e-Extension platform project among prospective partners and stakeholders
- Develop and facilitate communication strategies to raise awareness of the e-Extension Platform project
- Meet with key stakeholders in the public, civil society, and private sectors to introduce the project and invite their participation
- Organize and facilitate promotional awareness-raising events related to the Platforms project
Identify, engage, and involve all potential platform stakeholders in the Dialogue and Knowledge Sharing Platform project in Uganda.
- Secure and facilitate the commitment of the Ministry of Agriculture’s extension department, support the Ministry in building e-Extension platforms into their extension system, and facilitate the active involvement of public extension workers as focal persons in the e-Extension platforms.
- Directly engage the owners and directors of partner radio stations as champions of the e-Extension platforms.
- Mobilize civil society organizations and NGOs as partners and clients of the platforms.
- Identify and connect with private sector organizations that can contribute to and benefit from the platforms
- Engage knowledge partners and researchers as partners in the development of content agendas and messages for the e-Extension platforms
- Identify and engage digital advisory service providers and facilitate the integration of their services into the platforms.
Mobilize contributions from stakeholders to grow and sustain e-Extension Platforms
- Conduct research to determine whether and how stakeholders can and may contribute resources toward the continuation of e-Extension Platforms
- Develop “case for investment” promotional materials, investment types and levels, and contract templates for businesses and other stakeholders to contribute resources as Platform supporters, clients, sponsors or advertisers
- Negotiate and secure contributions from a variety of stakeholders, including public sector, civil society, NGO and private companies
- Develop revenue- and cost-sharing policies and agreements with the radio stations that deliver the platforms.
- Develop report templates and deliver reports to stakeholders that assure them that their contributions are achieving results
Experience and requirements
- 4+ years of experience in marketing, communication, revenue mobilization, particularly in support of media services and programs
- Experience in agricultural extension and advisory services
- Experience working in or closely with the not-for profit, for-profit and public sectors
- Experience work with rural radio stations, particularly in production and marketing
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English. Communication skills in Swahili are an asset
- Willing and able to travel if required.
- Knowledge of principles and success factors for networking, business development, marketing, and resource mobilization
- Knowledge of broadcasting, communication for development and digital advisory services
- Knowledge of the functioning of the agricultural advisory system and services of the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries
- Knowledge of digital communication service providers
Skills and attributes
- Powerful communicator and networker
- Entrepreneurial spirit, with a strong capacity for teamwork
- Excellent contacts and connections in the public, private and civil society sectors
- Good skills in market research
- High level of integrity
- Good capacity in terms of organization and management time; ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- At ease working with minimal supervision and limited resources.
How to Apply
FRI is an affirmative action employer. Women, youth and members of equity-seeking communities are strongly encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
If you wish to apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to Jobapps@farmradio.org and include the title of the position in the subject line. Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.