Technical Expert – Solar Energy & Horticulture Nexus.
REF No: GIZ – EnDev/TE-SE&HN/012101.
Reports To: Project Manager Energizing Development (EnDev) Uganda
For smallholders, the lack of access to modern energy sources for productive use is a main limitation to development and improved livelihoods. Energy related costs often represent one of the highest agribusiness operating costs. Some renewable energy technologies have been developed already, however, very few can be called “accessible” to smallholder farmers to date due to high investment costs. A major reason for this situation is the lack of scalable, innovative business cases which ensure that already available PUE technologies and services reach smallholder farmers and local agribusiness enterprises. Energizing Development (EnDev) is a global multi-donor partnership program implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) that facilitates market-based access to modern energy services in 25 countries worldwide. In Uganda, EnDev, under the Promotion of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Programme (PREEEP), cooperates closely with the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development (MEMD) in providing access to modern energy services to Ugandan households, social institutions and SMEs through market development for solar PV and energy efficient cook stoves. In line with its work on productive use of solar energy (PUE), EnDev Uganda will implement a project on sustainable energy for smallholder farmers. The focus will be on developing and implementing sustainable business cases for PUE in the horticulture value chain in Uganda i.e. solar water pumping, through capacity building, awareness-creation and piloting financing mechanisms.
Number of vacancies: 1
Sector: Civil society
Industry: NGO , Project Management , Agriculture , Business Development , Horticulture , Solar Energy , Business Development , Horticulture , Solar Energy , , Business Development, Horticulture, Solar Energy
Knowledge, Skills & Competences
- Computer literacy with excellent knowledge of MS Office (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Teams) and optional experience in using energy software design tools.
- Very good knowledge of English communication and presentations skills, both spoken and written.
- Strong organizational and administrative competence.
- Highly motivated to work in a multicultural and inter-disciplinary team.
- Highly motivated to work with tight timelines.
- Willingness to travel to project sites across the country.
Technical Expert – Solar Energy & Horticulture Nexus will be in charge of:
To identify, implement and evaluate pilot activities of solar energy use in the horticulture sector in Uganda. This includes working with the horticulture farmers, the solar companies, financial institutions, business development providers and other relevant stakeholders. Tangible outcomes and quantifiable results are expected. Focus regions are to be defined in the first months after the start of this assignment.
Technical Expert – Solar Energy & Horticulture also performs the following tasks:
- Identifying the target groups and focus regions
- Prioritizing energy needs of horticulture smallholders in relation to feasible technologies and services
- Exchange with solar companies on technologies, business cases and financing schemes
Business case development
- Identifying PUE Technologies & business cases with highest impact on livelihoods
- Set-up and facilitate demonstration sites for selected technologies together with local implementation partners, Organize demonstration events with beneficiaries
- Support the development of a targeted results-based finance support scheme aimed at increasing access to PUE products for smallholder farmers in the horticulture value chain
Implement pilot business cases for solar energy for smallholder horticulture farmers
- Coordinate trainings for smallholder farmers, entrepreneurs and cooperative structures to be able to operate & own PUE technologies and businesses
- Accompany smallholder farmers in the process of implementing solar technologies and piloting the business cases
- Develop relevant awareness materials and coordinate implementation of awareness activities
Financial support schemes development
- Support the development of adapted financing schemes targeting horticulture smallholders and pilot their implementation
- Establish a systematic cross-country exchange & learning between Uganda, Ethiopia, and Kenya on innovations established
Other Duties/Additional Tasks
- Coordinating the involvement of relevant stakeholders in the off-grid and agricultural sectors
- Supporting monitoring and evaluation efforts and documenting lessons learnt
- Supporting knowledge exchange with projects in Kenya & Ethiopia, including exchange visits
- Supervise and guide consultants
- Comply with procedures within GIZ, such as tenders, contracts with third parties, site visit.
- Carries out other tasks at the request of the superior.
- Master’s degree in energy, agriculture, business or related field
Details of experience
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the implementation of solar energy and/or agricultural projects with a focus on market-based access to solar energy in smallholder agriculture.
- Experience in developing business cases and financing schemes for smallholder farmers with a focus on solar energy investments.
- Experience in networking and building and maintaining professional relationships with government, development partners, agricultural associations, cooperatives and input suppliers as well as solar companies.
- Good understanding of the institutional and policy framework in Uganda including the energy and agriculture landscape.
- Familiarity with planning, implementation and reporting procedures.
How to apply
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by email to email@example.com. Applications and CVs should be in one document and a maximum of 5 pages only. Please include name and contact of three references in the CVs. Please quote the position and reference number in the subject line. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 21st January 2021. Please note: This is a national position. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We encourage women, people with disabilities and minority groups to apply for this position. GIZ is committed to equal opportunities and diversity of perspective at the working place.
Application deadline: 2021-01-21