Uganda Country Manager
Title: Uganda Country Manager
Reports To: ICF/EWT Partnership East African Regional Manager
Department: ICF/EWT Partnership – Africa Crane Conservation Programme
We are looking for a dynamic, committed, and detail-orientated person with passion, integrity and innovation to provide oversight, develop strategic partnerships and networks, lead strategy development and ensure financial sustainability of the Uganda project, for impact on cranes, wetlands and communities.
The position will be based in Southwestern Uganda, with frequent travel to project sites in Southcentral Uganda and the East Africa Regional Office in Kampala. The project is part of the African Crane Conservation Programme, a partnership between the International Crane Foundation (ICF) and the Endangered Wildlife Trust (EWT), which aims to maintain stable wild populations of four threatened crane species resident in sub-Saharan Africa: Wattled, Blue, Black Crowned, and Grey Crowned. The ICF/ EWT Partnership currently has three regional hubs across Africa, located in South Africa, Zambia, and Uganda, and will be expanding into West/Central Africa.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The position will have the following scope of work and responsibilities:
1. Provide strategic guidance, supportive leadership, and direction for the Uganda strategy, programme design, and implementation to ensure maximum conservation impact and return on investment within key crane and water catchment areas in Uganda.
2. Ensure the financial sustainability of projects through effective donor engagement, financial management, reporting, and strategic fundraising with relevant ICF/EWT Partnership staff.
3. Resource, supervise, and manage Uganda project staff to ensure the effective performance and growth of team members.
4. Develop, and maintain strategic partnerships and networks to strengthen our strategy in securing cranes, improving community livelihoods, and building resilient landscapes in Uganda.
5. Prepare annual work plans, monthly progress reports, annual progress reports, and other plans as required, with assistance/input from other project staff and ensure timely submission.
6. Mentor junior project team members to create a long-term plan of where they would like to focus their career path and help them to develop their professional abilities.
7. Participate and perform duties as assigned in the ICF/EWT and ACCP Regional Managers team deliberations.
1. Contribute to the formulation and prioritization of relevant research and conservation projects across East Africa.
2. In liaison with ICF-EWT/communications team, ensure sharing of project information through relevant channels such as the media, workshops, and conferences.
3. Ensure all administrative duties related to the project are completed to a high standard and within the deadline.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
1. A Master’s Degree in Agro-ecology or Agricultural Extension and Education Five years or more practical experience managing donor-funded projects
2. In-depth understanding of wetland- agriculture interaction
3. Good understanding of ecology and conservation
4. Experience working with small-scale farmers
5. Demonstrated experience in managing and mentoring project teams
6. Good skills and ability in data management and data analysis
7. Technical skills in project planning, implementation, and monitoring Demonstrated success in resource mobilization and fundraising through project development and proposal writing
8. Good verbal/oral communication skills and fluent in English language and competency in communication skills using a variety of media
9. Demonstrated capacity to write project reports and correspondences in clear, concise, logical, and grammatically correct manner, and competency to use word processing and spreadsheet software
10. Experience in effective community and stakeholder engagement, networking, and alliance building
11. Attentive to detail and thoroughness in terms of timeliness and quality of work Possess a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving records
12. Flexibility to work the number and schedule of hours needed to accomplish regular and ad hoc job responsibilities
Confidence in and ability to travel extensively, in Uganda, and occasionally to our other projects in Africa, to the EWT offices in South Africa, and to the ICF Headquarters in the USA. The ICF/EWT Partnership is an equal opportunities employer, and this position is open to Uganda nationals. Qualified candidates should submit CVs, a daytime telephone contact, email address, names and addresses of three referees, and a cover letter explaining how their experience will contribute to the requirements of the position, as one pdf file.
How to apply
Applicants should apply to email@example.com
Please put “Uganda Country Manager” in the subject line.
Applications close on 29 January 2023, and any applicants who will not have heard from the International Crane Foundation by 20 February 2023 should consider their application unsuccessful