Post: Assistant Commissioner Infrastructure and Operations
JOB ROLE/ PURPOSE:
To lead and manage the development, implementation, maintenance and support of all IT systems and infrastructure to support the quantum realization of the URA strategic agenda.
1. Develop the IT I&O Division strategy and standardize URA IT platforms to ensure that all IT components are compatible and well structured
• Develop and communicate the Divisional strategy in line with the URA Corporate strategy.
• Research on Technology trends and guide the evolution of Information, Communication and Technology systems in URA.
• Review, lead and guide the development of IT specifications for completeness and consistence.
• Chair meetings/engagements with IT service providers to address relevant issues for improvement in service provision.
• Review and approve payments for IT service providers within the Organizational approval level Guidelines.
• Manage and monitor contracts for IT procurements and ensure renewal schedules are up-to-date all the time.
• Lead, prioritize and control projects and the project portfolio as they relate to the selection, acquisition, development and installation of major information systems.
2. Set and monitor the implementation of IT service standards and service Level Agreements in order to improve cost effectiveness and service quality
• Develop, update and disseminate realistic standards of service quality for Information Technology in line with the ITIL (IT Infrastructure Library).
• Lead the identification, deployment and monitoring of IT service management frameworks (SLAs, OLAs, etc.) and ensure IT system operation adheres to applicable laws and regulations.
• Develop and lead the implementation of mechanisms/ tools for tracking, reporting and taking action on anomalies in IT service and quality as well as service improvement plan.
• Review IT systems to ensure reliability of the IT systems 24 hours and minimize system failures.
• Develop, facilitate and lead the implementation of mechanisms for sensitization of stakeholders on the relevance of the IT Service function, its procedures and impact; create, locate and share IT knowledge and expertise with staff and Senior Management to solve problems.
• Establish and monitor the implementation of mechanisms of tracking and responding to stakeholders’ inquiries, objections, and stakeholder involvement.
• Lead the design, deployment and maintenance of URA IT Infrastructure Platforms.
3. Develop and implement robust business processes, knowledge management and support communications systems in the Infrastructure and Operations Division for efficiency
• Develop systems for periodic dissemination of information to relevant stakeholders on the status of the operations of the division as well as anticipated future action.
• Lead and participate in the continuous review and improvement of IT policies, procedures in line with relevant IT laws, best practices and international standards.
• Lead the development, deployment and monitoring of all URA data warehousing solutions.
• Lead the maintenance of the highest level of IT service availability in line with SLAs and best practices.
• Lead the development of service improvement plans (Continuous Quality Improvement) in a formal and institutionalized way.
• Develop and monitor the implementation framework(s) for automating the tracking, storage and retrieval of information in the URA.
4. Lead the development of business support initiatives to foster increased productivity and efficiency
• Lead the development of frameworks to improve internal staff and external stakeholder capability and exposure to technology solutions that improve business efficiency.
• Track and periodically report on the efficiency and return on investment in the utilization of IT infrastructure and software.
• Develop frameworks for periodic IT capacity planning for people, process and technology.
• Lead the development of a corporate-wide process-oriented organization system that optimizes cross-business interfaces and productivity.
• Provide advisory services to URA management and clients on matters relating to the deployment or outsourcing of IT investments.
• Support the institutionalization and standardization of data management, maintenance of data integrity, data warehousing and data mining in URA.
• Lead the development and monitoring performance of frameworks for IT business continuity, managing redundancy, contingency planning, disaster management and change management.
5. Develop and monitor the implementation of programs to improve the capacity, motivation, performance and productivity of staff in the division so as to enhance the quality of their service delivery
• Lead, guide and support the Infrastructure and Operations Division in performance planning, monitoring and evaluation processes and account to Management, the performance of the Division.
• Develop and guide the implementation of staff motivation programs.
• Lead the identification of capacity gaps in the Infrastructure and Operations Division, approve suitable development programs and establish strategies to monitor their implementation.
• Create and continually enhance an enabling environment to enable all staff to maximize their performance, innovation and creativity potential.
• Lead the development of a culture of client orientation in the Infrastructure and Operations Division.
• Provide coaching and mentoring for staff as well as set up frameworks for their coaching and succession planning.
• An Honor’s Bachelor’s degree in; Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or any relevant related IT field from a recognized academic institution.
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Data Science, Software Engineering, MBA (IT), Information Systems, IT Security or any other IT relevant qualification from a recognized academic institution.
• The ideal candidate should have at least five (05) years working experience in Technology system operations environment, three (03) of which should have been attained at middle management level in a reputable Organization.
• ITIL foundations Certificate.
• Impeccable record of integrity.
• Leadership training
• Training in IT Project Management
• Training in IT Security Management
• Certifications in other fields such as Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Analytics among others.
• Experience in managing large and complex IT operations.
• Knowledge of Information Technology services management frameworks, Information Communication Policy, IT procedures, National Information Technology Act 2009, Uganda Communications Act 2013, Computer Misuse Act 2011.
• Knowledge of Business Intelligence/Data Warehousing.
• Knowledge of trends in IT Infrastructure, Platforms and Information Security
• Knowledge of IT risks
• Knowledge of Information security methods
SPECIFIC SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
The candidate must be able to demonstrate;
• Ability to develop, motivate and influence a team of managers towards the realization of the division’s mandate
• Demonstrated creativity and innovation capability
• Strong problem diagnosis and solving skills
• Strong conceptual and analytical skills
• Proactive with ability to work under pressure and minimum supervision.
• Excellent interpersonal relationship and networking skills
• Ability to develop others through coaching, mentoring and guiding the professional growth of staff under supervision
• Ability to communicate with impact and lead with influence.
• Possession of an admirable character that influences the behavior in a multi-disciplinary team.
• Empathetic and emotionally intelligent
For more details please visit https://www.ura.go.ug/