ActionAid is an international Development Agency working in over 50 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. ActionAid Uganda’s mission is to achieve social Justice, gender equality, and poverty eradication by working with people living in extreme poverty and exclusion, their communities, people’s organizations, activists, social movements and their supporters.
About UNFPA Project:
AAIU received funding from UNFPA to implement a project from Austria development Agency (ADA) Titled “Delivering an integrated package of rights to achieve universal coverage in Karamoja and Northern Uganda. The project contributed to engaging different actors towards social norm change, beliefs, and practices in Eastern and Northern Uganda. The project aims to empower women and young including those in hard-to-reach communities and those at risk to exercise their rights, freedom from gender-based violence (GBV), negative social norms, attitudes and behaviors that limit sexual and reproductive health rights (SRHRs). The respective staff will, plan, implement, report, monitor and supervise the implementation of Shelter related Programmes on Gender Based Violence project objectives UNFPA ADA Project in Northern region (Gulu, Otuke, Kaabong, Abim, and Omoro). The GBV legal project officer will take lead to build networks, create linkages, and collectively work with other partners, stakeholders at district and national level, and community formations to achieve social norm change to end violence against women and girls.
Job Summary: The GBV legal project officer will take lead to build networks, create linkages, and collectively work with other partners, stakeholders at district and national level, and community formations to achieve social norm change to end violence against women and girls in Gulu, Otuke, Kaabong, Abim, and Omoro
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working closely with the Project coordinator UNFPA, to undertake timely planning, implementation, and reporting of the project activities in line with the project donor and AAIU requirements
- Establish and maintain working relationships with implementing partners, district, and national stakeholders to promote AAIU image in line with the Organizational mission vision and values.
- Facilitate GBV Courts to convene to enable GBV survivors obtain improved access to justice through specialized court sessions in Acholi lango and west Nile regions to reduce on the numbers and improve on the disposal rates.
- Ensure that GBV Survivors are provided with integrated GBV services including Legal, Psychosocial, medical, and facilitated to attend court sessions together with their witnesses.
- Undertake monitoring and evaluation of project activities and document success stories arising in line with the project and ActionAid Uganda M&E framework.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold an Honours Degree in Law (LLB) from a recognized institution
- Diploma in legal practice from law development center or any recognized institution
- Post Graduate diploma in project planning and management or any related field is an added advantage.
- A minimum of three years of relevant work experience in a reputable organization, preferably an NGO or INGO
- Practical knowledge of court processes/ procedures and possession of a valid practicing certificate is a must
- Practical experience in providing probono services to victims of GBV including legal advice, representation in court, rehabilitation, and resettlement
- Knowledge of Gender, Human rights and gender-based violence issues is a must
- Good communication (Oral and written) skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Legal Research
- Litigation skills
- Knowledge of gender, power analysis
- Knowledge of feminist analysis and Human Rights based Approache
- Planning and organizing
- Good problem solving and decision-making skills
- Team player, Confidence, openness and willingness to learn
- Report writing skills
- Motorcycle riding skills
- Ability to establish critical working relationships
- Ability to promote and safeguard AAU policies
- Ability to conduct power analysis.
How to Apply:
Applications (Cover letter, CV, and certified academic documents as ONE DOCUMENT) sent by email to Vacancies.Uganda@actionaid.org clearly addressed to: The Finance and Operations Manager, ActionAid Uganda, Plot number 2514/2515 Ggaba Road, Opposite Kampala International University P.O Box 676 Kampala
Deadline: 26th May 2023 by 5:00 pm
- We will respond to ONLY shortlisted candidates.
- Whilst all applications will be assessed strictly on their individual merits, qualified WOMEN are especially encouraged to apply.